Fly Tying
fiveonomo

Thread spool size

Hey everyone, I'm one of the new guys around here. I am building a fly tying bench and I have a question. What size peg should I use for the spools of my thread? I have no thread yet or I would take a look at it. I am guessing there is a general size, not sure. I have a feeling I'm going to be asking a bunch of questions, I hope I don't wear out my welcome. Thanks in advance.

The standard thread spool hole is 1/4". Use a 1/16 dowel or a quarter inch dowel if you sand it a bit will should work.

When I made my spool rack, I used 1/8 inch diameter steel rod. It was actually left over stake rods from election posters (the kind you see in front yards) But you can get 1/8" diameter brass or steel rod from any hardware store or craft shop. I painted mine, since I didn't want to deal with any rust issues. I cut them into 4" long sections, which is long enough to stick into the base and hold three spools each.

I don't have pictures on this computer, but I might have some on my personal at the hotel. I'll post them tonight if I do.

One more while I'm here. I've built a bunch of stuff out of wood but I am certainly not a woodworker, my stuff works and looks ok. On the bench I am trying to make a tray, for glue, cement and bottles of stuff. I see some where there is a circle or square indention cut into the wood, like a recessed hole for the bottle to sit it. I hope I am explaining that correctly. What tool enables you to do this? I am thinking a wood lathe, any thoughts on this would be a great help? Thanks.

I have a feeling I'm going to be asking a bunch of questions, I hope I don't wear out my welcome. Thanks in advance.

pretty hard to do with this crowd. ask away!!

For small to medium holes, you can use spade bits.

For larger holes, you can use Forstner bits. (I just learned about these ... they're cool)

I bought a bag of dowels at Wal-Mart 3/16" by 12" long, 16 pieces for a couple of bucks.

I cut them onto 4" pieces and sank them about an inch and a half onto the wood. I can get 2 spools comfortably on them.

Kirk