Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
outdoorsmanfool

leader keeps knoting

i have a problem with my leaders always knotting... it seems like i am casting the right way. Also at times it catches my fly line that connects to the leader... any suggestions on how i could fix this? thanks.

They're called "air knots" or "wind knots" because they magically appear in your line, as if the wind has tied them. At least, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I don't use a leader/tippet system. I just start the day with a straight piece of mono a little longer then the fly rod. When I get a knot, if it's toward the fly, I cut and retie the fly on. When the mono gets "too short", I replace it.

I know it's not "right" ... but it's worked for me for decades ... and I am good with what works for me.

i have a problem with my leaders always knotting... it seems like i am casting the right way. Also at times it catches my fly line that connects to the leader... any suggestions on how i could fix this? thanks.

If you are catching fish, you are casting the right way.

If you are getting wind knots, you are not casting the right way.

See how easy it is?

When I get a wind knot, I've found it is usually from one of three things: not waiting long enough for my back cast to fully extend, piling up my line and leader on the water on a forward cast (caused by me aiming AT the water instead of aiming above the water), or wobbling the rod tip excessively on either the forward or back cast.

To me, casting is part of the enjoyment of fishing. Whether that is fly fishing, spinning, or whatever else. A nice cast is enjoyable all on it's own. Wind knots happen, and the most important thing is to be aware--- they create a serious weakness in whatever material, and will cause you to lose a big fish.

Yep, in my experience for me it's usually a crappy back cast situation. I know I have obstructions behind me me etc. I don't follow my own advice to beginners !! LOL And yes, too much push and low aim on the forward cast as well but far more common for me is the back cast fault. Forward casts should be smooth and strong and stop the cast on either the real or imaginary horizon line. The power of your forward cast is actually in a full, complete back cast . But we ALL get excited when fish are rising in front of us, don't we ? Then casting flaws show right up just as we need our best casts !

Probably not letting the line straighten out behind before you start your forward cast. Or your casting arm is moving too much on the forward and back casts. Not that I am expert just that was what was wrong with mine when I got a free lesson at a place I fish lol.

I have to agree with Silver. You are throwing tailing loops. The video he linked to is good, but if you can't figure it out from there, you need to have a casting instructor analyze your cast (if you have any friends who are guides, you might be able to get it done for free.)

There are several casting "flaws" that cause this to happen, but in my experience, the most common is bearing down too hard at the beginning of the cast, and letting up near the end of the cast. This is classified as "unequal application of force" in the casting guides. Concentrate on making a smoother application of force, so the end of the cast is as strong as the beginning. Shortening your casting stroke may help with this, too. Many of us, especially when making longer casts, tend to reach too far in both directions.

My son used to blow up Joe's Smelts when learning to cast. His back cast snapped forward like a bull whip. Feathers floated down behind him. Either that or let the rod drop and catch the fly in the grass or other back low cover. But he learned, does great today. Almost anything odd one sees happen with the line is pilot error !