Fly Tying
Jokey

I have a confession to make....

Oliver Edwards wraps his thread towards himself AND is left handed and he's been pretty good for a long time, so.....

Joe

Shoebop is basically right in his summation. However, it can be overcome. I had a friend who tied the way you do and his flies would not catch fish. I could give him a fly and he'd have a fish on in minutes but his identical fly tied backward flies could not raise a chub. One day, quite accidentally, he made a cast with left hand in a tight situation. BANG Just like that he had a fish one. Turned out after he trained himself to cast left handed his backwards flies would catch fish right alongside a normally (correctly) tied fly cast by a normal (correct) right handed caster who reels with his left hand, the way God meant it to be.

also, sometimes people have trouble with woolly buggers and similar flies causing twist in their tippets.... if you tie half your flies one way, and half your flies the other way, over a lifetime of fishing, the twist will cancel itself out. You will die with a straight tippet.

I'm the same... I've been told several times by so-called "professionals" that I am doing it backwards. I also learned from books when I was a kid, and for whatever reason I guess it just felt natural to me. It has not seemed to matter to the thousands of fish I've caught over the decades... any and every style of fly, any species of fish.

The comment about professionals made me think of a story...

I was doing some tying at our booth at the Western Canadian Fly Fishing expo a couple years ago and was working my way through some pattern or another. Noticed someone was standing in front of my bench watching me so I stopped and looked up to find Gary Borger watching me. I was suddenly incredibly conscious of my wraps that I just stopped. Drop the bobbin and started chatting. No way was I going to wrap backwards with him standing there. We chatted for a little while and then off he went. My partner started to laugh as he was out of earshot because he knew darn well the reason I stopped.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one!

J