Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Saarinen

Oily waxy cape!?!

Sometimes a cheaply-dyed cape (or patch of hair or fur) will stain your hands. This material will also lose colour when the fly gets wet. So it is best to remedy the problem before you start tying flies. When I find my material bleeds like this I soak it in a strong vinegar solution (up to 1:1 water/vinegar) for half an hour. Mild organic acid will "fix" many or most dyes. Then I rinse well in cold running water, dry between PT, etc.

Make friends with your local butcher and he may give you a handful of meat diapers. They are perfect for the job. But paper towelling works fine too.

Washing a cape is easy. Since you are trying to get rid of fats/oils you should use a mild detergent (like Sunlight, Dawn...) and hot water. If your hands can tolerate the heat- so can the feathers. Massage the feathers gently as if you were shampooing your hair. Rinse well and blot out most of the moisture with paper towels. Lay the cape on bed of dry paper towels, take a comb and comb the feathers straight. Place more PT on top of the cape and place a book (or similar weight) on top of this. Check every few hours and replace the PT when it gets wet.

The one problem with washing and dying capes is the skin tends to shrink and become hard. That's why you need to press it flat.

Before the feathers are completely dry I like to use a hair dryer on them. Blow with low heat for 5 minutes or so to fluff them up. Then comb the feathers straight and flat and leave overnight between PT with a good weight on top.

IMPORTANT: Make sure your cape is bone-dry before sealing it up in a baggie. Or you will be the proud owner of the rare fuzzy-green stinky hackle.

So would a green fuzzyskinky hackle be good for tying hydropsychidae rockworms ? rolleyes.gif