Fly Tying
Stilljerkin

dubbing brush wire?

Ok I think it's called a dubbing brush but anyways today I used craft fur an just normal fly tying wire. Well it worked for the most part just the wire is kinda weak can't twist it as tight as I would like cause it breaks. So I was wondering what kind of wire do you guys use. I'm guess copper wire is not what you want. Steel wire is what I think would be ideal but I was just checking. An also for you guys who have played around with this before what gauge wire works best for you? Iv watched YouTube videos on making them I don't really have the right set up yet wanted to see how I liked it an how well I could do it so any pictures of your set up on laying the wire out an putting your material on then twisting it all up that would be great help. Thanks

Google dubbing brush jig/s.

I've seen 28ga. to 32ga. used. I haven't quite gotten to play around with this yet but have a dubbing brush 'jig' made - just need time to use it. I've read that when it gets twisted enough, it will 'break' at one end or the other.

BCT

use the search function on this site and search for "stainless steel wire for dubbing brushes" and you will find a thread regarding wire

or GOOGLE "dubbing brush wire" and search the results

uni makes dubbing brush specific wire in .003, .006 and .009 thousandths of an inch diameters

I use what you use. Just use a bigger gauge if it is breaking too easily.

I went to the craft store a few hours ago an got 28 gauge steel wire an some wax at the fly shop (that really helps also) an it turned out just like I was hoping for. Thanks for your help.

I use very fine copper wire. It twists up nice, is small, and once it twists up, it will break off. It's about .000380 in diameter, and not strong at all. It was given to me (1/4 pound) by a guy who builds electric motors, but it's finer than I've seen in motors.

Your wire is .00038 thick?? Now that's some small stuff. I'm machinest so I deal with them number everyday but I think the smallest iv ever seen Is we have half thousands shims (.0005) an they are like nothing.

Your wire is .00038 thick?? Now that's some small stuff. I'm machinest so I deal with them number everyday but I think the smallest iv ever seen Is we have half thousands shims (.0005) an they are like nothing.

Got to it before I did. 0.00038" is read as 38 one hundred thousandths of an inch. I don't think you could see a wire that thin.

Just having fun, Gene. Probably meant to type 0.0038" - almost 4 thousandths of an inch ... which is actually thicker than a piece of paper. Big difference that decimal point can make.

Got to it before I did. 0.00038" is read as 38 one hundred thousandths of an inch. I don't think you could see a wire that thin.

Just having fun, Gene. Probably meant to type 0.0038" - almost 4 thousandths of an inch ... which is actually thicker than a piece of paper. Big difference that decimal point can make.

Yep, wrong zero. It's 38 gauge wire, which is .00400.

Come on fellas! Give the guy a break. Most folks don't work with such small measurements. I am sure he meant .0038".

Stilljerkin, if one end of your brush making jig has a spring on the rod hook or a way to feed one end of wire into the twisting brush, it should not break. Any wire if twisted enough will break, which is why most dubbing twister machines have one end that "gives". If both ends are set stationary and you start twisting, it won't be long before one of the wires snaps.

Come on fellas! Give the guy a break. Most folks don't work with such small measurements. I am sure he meant .0038".

That's the problem, Ditz. He was getting breaks, and he's trying to prevent them.