Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
heronwheels

Reformed Lurker From Michigan

Well, I can't say that I'm new, I've been lurking and gleaning information from this forum for about two years now (just passed my two year anniversary of tying and fly fishing). Apparently my mental function is diminishing because I couldn't figure out how to reply to posts in the past and just recently figured out it was because I hadn't confirmed my registration smile.png. I fish for a little bit of everything but as of late, I'm more interested in warm water species and weird fish than trout. Just started getting into the whole popper painting thing (Copic and Acrylic paints) so I've spent a bunch of time on here learning what I can from the masters. Love the forum, lots of great information!

Stacey

Welcome Stacey

"Weird fish"???? Come to Florida and I'll teach you how to catch toadfish. Now they are weird. But seriously if you want to fish for warm water fish, you might consider moving to the Carolinas. There you have a lot of choices. When I'm in Florida, we don't have anything but warm water fishes. So warm, you can catch them parboiled.

Let us see some of those poppers.

Welcome to the "participating crowd" of the site. As stated by Flafly ... since you're now with the "in crowd" ... You should show some pics of your flies .... and the fish you catch with them. I am especially interested in what you consider "weird" fish!!!

LOL, I guess I should rephrase the "weird fish" thing. I guess I mean the undesirables. I'm obsessed with getting a bowfin and gar on the fly rod...stuff like that. FlaFly, I think my northern blood would make me burst into flames down in the Carolinas, anything over 80F, I melt

Some recent flies
image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

Some Fish
image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

Very nice job on those Poppers, Stacey!!! Great, in fact !!!

And, HOLY MOLY on the bluegill !!! That's a huge one !

Nice Crappie, too.

I am not familiar enough to know what kind of salmon/trout that is. It's pretty, though.

Thanks mikechell! I'm still trying to get the hang of the airbrush system but it's getting better. That and winding hackle through rubber legs makes me want to swear (well, hackle in general). The fish probably don't care but still :-) The red trout is a Yellowstone Cutthroat from the Yellowstone River inside the park. I hooked three and landed two of these beasty sized cutts from the same pool, I was pretty excited (this one was especially colorful)! We've been getting some chunky bluegills this spring, I'd rather catch a 10-11 inch fatty bluegill than a 12 inch trout any day - they are scrappers for sure!

Welcome Stacy from another Michigander. :) Those are some nice poppers you tied and some impressive fish too! I've been fishing a lot of lakes this spring and early summer, seeing as half the rivers in the state seem to be blown out from rain on any given day, and I've gotten into some nice 'gills too, but nothing like that chunky monkey in your pic above.

I've been toying with getting into the Copic airbrush system myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seeing your poppers has the wheels turning again, though...

Anyway welcome to the forum, we're glad to know you're here! :)

Welcome aboard Stacey, life long Michigander here as well. I'm in the SE corner (Royal Oak) but have a place on the Au Sable which is like a 2nd home to me. What part of the state are you in?

Steve

Welcome Stacy from another Michigander. :) Those are some nice poppers you tied and some impressive fish too! I've been fishing a lot of lakes this spring and early summer, seeing as half the rivers in the state seem to be blown out from rain on any given day, and I've gotten into some nice 'gills too, but nothing like that chunky monkey in your pic above.

I've been toying with getting into the Copic airbrush system myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seeing your poppers has the wheels turning again, though...

Anyway welcome to the forum, we're glad to know you're here! :)

Hey Bryon - gotta ask, are you a member of Grand River Fly Tyers? I just volunteered to help at a kid's event in September and i thought a name similar to yours was brought up as being another of the volunteers. I hear ya on the rivers being a mess, I've been seeking out local ponds and lakes. Even though no rain in a few days, the Grand was still high and muddy this AM.

Welcome aboard Stacey, life long Michigander here as well. I'm in the SE corner (Royal Oak) but have a place on the Au Sable which is like a 2nd home to me. What part of the state are you in?

Steve

Steve - I'm on the north end of Grand Rapids. We were just up fishing the Ausable last weekend for a day (above Alcona Pond).

Welcome Stacy from another Michigander. smile.png Those are some nice poppers you tied and some impressive fish too! I've been fishing a lot of lakes this spring and early summer, seeing as half the rivers in the state seem to be blown out from rain on any given day, and I've gotten into some nice 'gills too, but nothing like that chunky monkey in your pic above.

Anyway welcome to the forum, we're glad to know you're here! smile.png

Hey Bryon - gotta ask, are you a member of Grand River Fly Tyers? I just volunteered to help at a kid's event in September and i thought a name similar to yours was brought up as being another of the volunteers. I hear ya on the rivers being a mess, I've been seeking out local ponds and lakes. Even though no rain in a few days, the Grand was still high and muddy this AM.

Stacey, I am in fact a member of GRFT, and you may have heard my name in connection with the Sportsmen for Youth event in Muskegon, as I have volunteered to help with that. I have not been to a GRFT tying meeting in a while and I don't get to participate in the "Tuesday Night Fishing Club" b/c I share custody of my kids with my ex and the kids are at my house on Tuesday nights, but I am planning to get back to attending the tying meetings once they start up again in the fall. I hope I run into you there! I live in Holland and work in Kalamazoo, so we are in pretty close proximity geographically.

I am staying at a family member's cottage on West Lake (near North Muskegon) this week--there are some nice fish in here but it's a tough lake to fly fish as there is no structure to speak of other than docks. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to my favorite small obscure lakes. Ever since I bought a kayak I've become much more lake-oriented. If we cross paths at a tying meeting sometime we should compare notes. :)

Bryon