Fly Tying

TED2HX.jpg
N6OmU3.jpg
XWSve8.jpg
qKNheE.jpg

This one is just off the bench and is a 9ft 4wt 4pc done up in very classy looking wraps which blend right into the blank color then trimmed with some metallic gold. Window style seat with custom grip that has some accents to match the rod. The person that bought this rod actually bought it as a replacement for his father whom recently broke a rod. He had one of my rods he had bought from me some years ago which they no longer make so I swung him a deal on this new build, I think his Dad will be happy with the replacement.

Absolutely gorgeous, Steve. I love the color combination. Very classy is an understatement.

steve

Thanks, doing good Dan, been busy the past couple weeks with Woodward Dream Cruise stuff so haven't been around much lately. That's over with now though as of last night so back to rod work now today.

Steve.... I've got to ask. I have gotten the impression that most.... not all, but most lightweight rods (3 or 4) on the market tend to be short.... 6.5 -7 ft. while most heavy rods (7-9) tend to be longer. Now you've posted a 9 ft., 4 wt. just to play with my mind. Am I right in my impression, and if so why? I'm asking because I fish sitting in a canoe and I like the extra height for casting. I currently use 8 ft. 5 wt.

If I ever get around to getting 3 or 4, I'd prefer it to be at least 8 ft. Is there a reason so many light rods are short?

There are some light 9ft rods out there for sure. On average though your shorter rods are lighter just due to the fact that you don't have that extra 2ft of graphite blank, extra guides, extra finish etc etc. But there are some light 9ft'er. Also a well balanced rod feel lighter than it actually is. The rods that have the fancy cork in the grips carry about 30% more weight per cork ring than standard cork. Not a weight difference that you can notice because it is weight in the hand and not swing weight, but yet it does make the rod "feel" lighter because it balances it better. So there's things you can do to make a longer rod feel lighter than it is as well.