Fly Tying
Musky0503

Deer Hair

For deer hair it's hard to beat stuff from Whitetail Fly tying http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/index.php Chris Helm started it but sold it and they still do lots of deer hair. Sadly Chris isn't with us anymore but the lessons he taught are priceless.

spinning deer hair is my nemisis!!!!!!! I wish I could have taken one of his class's!!

Looking back at your question...I don't think my answer was helpful. Are you looking for bucktails? If so, again, I believe it's best if you can look at them...that way you can get the color and consistency your after. As you probably know, these characteristics can vary wildly. It's really bad news to get crooked tails...and I've gotten some of these in the mail. Also washing these and cleaning the fat off the hide will really make a difference in your tying. They take far less time to dry than deerhair. Cheers, Ed

I'm with fat man , whitetail takes personal calls and they will tell you up front if they have what you need, some tyers dont know what they need(as silly as that sounds), having said that I do talk to pat Cohen and he's pretty good with getting you what you need.

My all time best source of bucktail no longer exists.... They were Hobbes Feather Co. out of Idaho and their products were exceptional. What made them stand out wasn't so much better bucktail but they had a very good color chart for all their dyed products that you could purchase from them for a token sum. Every time I ordered from them I knew that the colors would be exactly what the dyed sample in my color pack indicated (whether it was bucktail, feathers, or other materials). No other outfit I've ever dealt with had that advantage. I was sorry to see them go out of business a few years back. I still have that color pack (it consisted of maribou samples in about fifty colors....) to refer to when I'm searching for a particular color.

As a guy who was buying at wholesale mostly (feathers by the pound, etc.), on more than one occasion I've had to wait until a shipment arrived to find out whether I was getting what I wanted or some lesser quality that I'd be making do with. Very few outfits I've dealt with consistlently provided really first rate materials (or were able to supply what I needed time after time...). Now that I've quit tying for shops I probably have a lifetime supply of feathers, maribou blood quill, etc. Bucktails are the only exception since if you're tying up bucktail jigs you'll go through quite a bit of the stuff.... The last thing I try to do is purchase anything from a shop unless there's no other option.