Fly Tying
StY|EsoX

Carp on Fly!!

Few miles from my home is one lake with large population of carp. Next year I try to catch few on fly rod. Have some one Expirianc with this speacis on fly rod. Wath fly to us, wath tackle ? Any information will help me.

Dane

Dane,

There are a few guys on this site that have a lot of experience with them, i'm sure they will chime in.....in the meantime, try www.roughfish.com.

Mike

I'm interested for amur (grass carp) on fly, too. Maybe more than common carp. I think thet amur is beter fighter then carp. I can locatet amurs very easy.

Mike thenk you for link.

I have never targeted carp when fishing but i have hooked ohmy.gif them when fishing other species, they are a blast. It like hookin a freight train. Whatever you use, make sure you got plenty of backing, i have a feeling your gonna need every inch of it. biggrin.gif

I thought i was undergunned with an 8 wt.

Goodluck

I try with #9 weight rod and 100yard of 30lb becking, and reel with good drag sistem. I sow lagre fishs 20+pounders, this is average for grass carp on this lake. If I hook some of this fish it will be very interesting.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

That should give you plenty of backbone for fighting any Carp. If you don't have a lot of weeds and sticks to deal with you could even use a smaller rod with no trouble. Check this out. It's avaiable at the top of the warmwater page and gives a closer look at flyfishing for Carp. Carp Fishing!

I have had some luck on Amur by using, of all things, poppers. I had luck by cast ing well ahead of them, and letting the popper just sit. DO NOT move it! These fish are super spooky, and you have to be very careful in placing the fly near them. The poppers I had luck with were those with lots of rubber legs. I didn't find color to be important, but the rubber legs are.

If you sucessfully place the popper ahead of the cruising fish, and the ripple rings don't cause them to change course, you can then let the fish cruise under it, and hope that it catches the attention of one in the school. If they all cruise under it, and don't take, you can then twitch it. If that fails to elicite a strike, then you can pop it. If none of the above works, pick it up well after they have left the area, and try again. This has been the only tactic that has worked on them, for me. There are likely other ways, but I only know this one way.

The Amur that I was after were running between 35-45 lbs. I was using a sz 2 popper. I had success with both purple, and I think the other one was white with black spots. Both worked, but I think I would try a few different colors, and be patient, as the ones I was after would spook at the slightest provocation. You had to use more stealth than you would, even for trout.

Since the rubber legs seemed to be the key factor, I wonder about trying a Madam X, also. I think they were taking it out of curiosity. I don't know that they actually were feeding, but maybe just wanting to find out what it was.

Try the website, www.carpanglersgroup.com for info on carp. They have a section dedicated to flyfishing for the critters. Also, there is a book, Carp On the Fly- one of the authors is Brad Befus. It's on amazon.com at a reasonable price. Going to try it this summer as the TVA lakes are full of carp. I have been told that a floating restaurant on the Tennessee River near Knoxville has dozens of carp around it, probably from people feeding them. headbang.gif

We tied Elk Hair Caddis flies at a tying session last month. When we finished, one of the guys said they would work really well when fishing for Carp. I look forward to trying that once the water warms up a bit.

I got a few Carp last year with sponge spiders. I was after green sunfish in the shallows of a pond at work. Imagine my surprise when my 4 wt rod bent over for a Carp when I was expecting little sunfish.

I'm going to have to check out some of the web sites that have been mentioned here. Quite a few of the ponds I frequent have more than their fair share of Carp.

More later,

Ken S

wink.gif

Hook: Standard dry fly, size 14 to 10.

Thread: White.

Wing: Short full wing of white marabou.

Flotation: Tiney cylinder of white foam.

user posted image

StY Esox, I thought about the fruit explanation, but on a past outing I used the previously mentioned tactic using the popper. I had a school of them pass under the popper without any interest. After all had passed, and the last fish was just a foot or so past the motionless popper, I gave it a fair pop. That last fish immediately turned 180 degrees, swam back at the popper at high speed, and slammed it! He knocked it three feet into the air, but was not hooked. I think it was an agressive response. As spooky as these fish are, if it was startled I think it would have bolted away from the noise, not turned to attack it.

If you look at the way a Redfish's mouth is shaped it's clear that they are designed for feeding down. However, it is said by many who fish for them that the Redfish loves topwaters. I think that the Amur is the same way. They may feed on vegetation, but on occasion, they may attack out of reflex, or take something off of the surface out of simple curiosity. Much the way a small child tries to learn about something. How many things do you have to keep out of reach of small children, because they have a seeming natural instinct to put stuff in their mouths. I think that fish operate in a similar fashion. If they don't know what something is, just stick it in your mouth, and find out. baby.gif