Fly Tying
Roland58

Barbell Eyes, home made

Curmudgeon

a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man.

i think that's an unfair assessment of someone you only know behind a computer screen

I've donated a few things myself and never heard from the donatee after assurances they would send me some flies. I even paid postage. Can't say I regretted it, and I forgive him, but I won't forget the bastard's name.

Curmudgeon

a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man.

i think that's an unfair assessment of someone you only know behind a computer screen

OKay ... maybe you're not "Crusty" since that would require visual confirmation.

But, you can't deny the other two attributes !!!

I use barbell eyes for weight more than for looks. Rolling your own out of plastics wouldn't seem to put enough weight for me. I have a couple of years supply which is about 50 and will gladly pay for them.

Flytire, you sent me some materials a while back and it was way more than I expected and I still thank you for that. You mailed me a nice book that I really enjoyed and i thank you for that too. You also sent me a Thompson vice that i was going to pass on to a young tier but he turned out to be a little s--t head so the vice is safely clamped at the top of my desk awaiting a worthy receiver.

I'm worthy! I'm worthy! All I have is a cheapo vise that comes with a Gander Mountain beginner's kit! I think it is an AAA brand from China. With some effort it will hold a hook!

I'm too old to be a curmudgeon....the crust has fallen off and I'm past being ill tempered or old, a few more days and I will be a fossil! I will even submit pictures of it being used!

Dang Mike, I thought you were amongst my friends! Now you are wanting to see me dead and fossilized! That's okay, as the body parts fall off I figure out ways to utilize them in my flies. Give me a few more days and I will send a pic of my fingernail minnow with gray dubbing (from my beard).

I really could use a decent vise, no amount of grease can make mine operate smoothly and all the ones I have looked at have been "my wife is going to kill me" expensive. Which lends to flytire's comment on purchasing flies is cheaper than tying them. But, hey......us old, crippled folks have to have something to do to pass the time. It's getting to difficult to pass much of anything else! Oh yeah, some hackle. If anyone has some left over hackle that is in their way, I will be happy to take it off your work bench! I am going to call Orlando Outfitters and see what kind of deal they can give me on a small amount of good hackle....I don't even care what color! My wife still doesn't know about the Christmas box......if my posts suddenly stop, you will know why.

I've got a coworker that cut a bunch of fur off of a deer he shot. I told him I would gladly make him a few flies with the fur. Next day he had 2 flies with a few more to come. It's always appreciated when someone donates materials.

Bob V.

I've got a coworker that cut a bunch of fur off of a deer he shot. I told him I would gladly make him a few flies with the fur. Next day he had 2 flies with a few more to come. It's always appreciated when someone donates materials.

Bob V.

Hey Bob,

I'll send you a few sets of eyes, if you would like to have them. As someone else said, they don't add much weight, but, are great on dries. PM me you address and I'll get some your way.

This thread is hysterical. As part of the "old and crusty" gang" I have to say it is refreshing to see us all gather and enjoy each others snarky comments. What I really want to see is Roland's fly made from his gray beard.... BRILLIANT! Maybe we should start a swap with that as a requirement. ...."you must use your beard hair in the fly"....