Fly Tying
Fish For Life

What do you do with your swap flys

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like fisherboy said, some that I receive either sit in an area that I can appreciate them for their beauty an some are just patterns I haven't gotten around to trying out. I usually tweak so many different patterns I never get around to testing most of them.

I like to fish them whenever I can.

A fly from the first swap I participated in (a grey riffle?)... beautiful grey dry with a double post.... accounted for my first (and so far only) brown trout on fly.

Because I live over 2000km from my nearest trout stream I don't fish these fellas too often.

I think the first swap I hosted was woolly buggers... those guys have been fished for local fresh water species like sooty grunter and jungle perch.

and I take a number of the salty ties out whenever I visit the flats.....

pj beckets chamois shrimp have accounted for one or two fish....

then they tend to get retired.....

Im always charged to hear if people catch fish with what i tie!!!. I fish with what has been given me about 40% of the time and then theres the ones that are just works of art. they go on display over my bench I tend to use them as models for me to attempt to re-tie.

I fish those that are relevant to what/where I might be fishing and keep the rest in backup boxes, or in a swap box on my desk. I usually keep the toe tags on them until I do fish em so I can let the tyer know how they worked for me. I'll also use some that I don't fish to give to kids or people in need of flies as well.

Guest rich mc

like other swappers i have too many flies laying around. i save high quality flies and pin on a bulletinboard. some i fish . most i put on a tray and add a sign FREE to kids and spouses that come to the fly shows i'm at. rich mc

I only keep 2 on any swap ....

The rest I send to wounded warriors

Or project healing waters

" give back , that which has been freely given "