Fly Tying
WdyCoachmen

8wt set up recommendations

Hey everyone,

I am looking to acquire an 8 weight set-up for larger trout, but mainly smallmouth fishing. I live in Central VA and with the James River here and not that many rivers in the mountains that require a heavier rod for trout I am trying to set up for wade smallmouth fishing. I am looking for rod and possibly real recommendations. I am pretty sure I a going with a Taylor Array reel, but the rods I am not sure about. I am looking at either a Mystic Reaper, TFO BVK, or G-Loomis Pro 4X. Any recommendations, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this post,

Wdy

Hey everyone,

I am looking to acquire an 8 weight set-up for larger trout, but mainly smallmouth fishing. I live in Central VA and with the James River here and not that many rivers in the mountains that require a heavier rod for trout I am trying to set up for wade smallmouth fishing. I am looking for rod and possibly real recommendations. I am pretty sure I a going with a Taylor Array reel, but the rods I am not sure about. I am looking at either a Mystic Reaper, TFO BVK, or G-Loomis Pro 4X. Any recommendations, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Wdy

So really you're looking to set up an 8 wt for smallie fishing ? I would think an 8 wt would kind of knock down the fun in trout fishing unless they weighed 6+ lb and or fished in raging water or something.

My main bass rod is a T&T 9' 8wt with A Redington CL reel ( I believe that reel is no longer made, been a great reel for bass and salt water schoolie stipers too)

Hey everyone,

Wdy

So really you're looking to set up an 8 wt for smallie fishing ? I would think an 8 wt would kind of knock down the fun in trout fishing unless they weighed 6+ lb and or fished in raging water or something.

My main bass rod is a T&T 9' 8wt with A Redington CL reel ( I believe that reel is no longer made, been a great reel for bass and salt water schoolie stipers too)

I often use an 8wt for trout. Yes, the average fish is slightly less fun on the big rod, but I am not after average trout. I am looking for really BIG trout. I use the 8wt for throwing big, heavy streamers. One of the rivers I fish also has lots of smallies and pike, so the 8wt kinda suits the bill. It's a bit overkill for the majority of the fish, but I need the heavier rod to cast the flies.

That being said, I fish a Scott S3S, or S4S (can't remember which). You can find them pretty cheap now that they are a couple of years obsolete. I pull triple duty with it steelheading, and for false albacore.

I have had my Scott STS 8 wt since 2003. I live in the Shenandoah valley; I got my 8 for bass, primarily smallies. I also wanted to hold out the possibility of striper and steelhead fishing as a couple of opportunties were there at that time for me.

I use a 5 wt for bigger trout and streams such as N Branch of Potomac and the Elk in WV. I recently added a glass 3 wt, which I'm glad I did just for brook trout creek fishing. For me an array of rods made sense (also have a 7 wt and 4 wt in my collection, but I've started getting redundant).

Many of the prominent folks in the fly fishing community in VA would recommend a 7 wt for bass. I agree, and do use my 7 weight, but I've found the 8 to be more pleasurable to throw some of my bigger flies - baitfish tied on a 1/0 hook, and large deceivers/parakeets, articulated double hook bait fish. I'm replacing my 7 wt flyline now, and have noticed that the new lines available may help throw the bigger flies better; my 7 being adequate as-is all the same. If I had one rod for smallie fishing in VA, it would have to be the 8. That said, if I were in your shoes (with my eyes on your bigger trout comment), I'd relook a 7. I don't mind being over-gunned (I have a blast on the Shenandoah river with my 8 wt hauling in bluegills that smack my top water bugs); but it bothers some fishermen. A nice 7 wt rod will easily cast what most would consider a typical smallmouth fly. I don't really care THAT much about the difference between a 7 or 8, so I don't have much more to say, I like 'em both (I won the 7 weight in a raffle, that's why I have both).

I've personally tasted Orvis, Scott, St Croix, Winston, and Reddington rods. All great. I do love my Scott and Winston. Reddington is my 3 and so far it's lovely. If I were starting fresh from this point building my rod collection, I'd definitely look at TFO, they make great stuff, and I like the pricing. I would be looking at all the series, Lefty's signature rods as well as the BVK, but the BVK looks to be real solid. Being here in VA you should be able to drop by a shop that carries the TFO's and try one? I highly recommend that. A fly rod becomes a partner so I like to make sure we hit it off right from the start.

On reels, I have little to offer; my own collection is a little boring to me. I have an Orvis Battenkill on my 7 wt, and Ross Canyon Big-Game on my 8. The Orvis is a nice reel, I like the gold color, otherwise it's run-of-the-mill. I really like the Canyon but it's overkill; I never needed a reel that is as stout (and a wee bit heavy). I like light. There's just so many fine reels out there. The Taylor looks as good as any for the money; maybe others will express more of a preference and logic behind it. What I will look at if/when I buy another reel: Hardy reels - but they might be just a tad over your budget line (you didn't express any budget constraints); 3-Tand (they just look exciting). So I have nothing to offer from personal experience, but reels are going the way of the auto - they're all starting to look the same to me. I would want something a little off the beaten path. I have used the disc drag for big carp, but at 7/8 wt and in typical VA fresh waters I don't think I need my fly reel to be state-of-the-art indestructible. Without knowing your budget line, I would say maybe look into reels at about $150 more than what you're looking at in the Taylor now. Maybe that's just being indulgent, but when my budget allows that's part of this sport for me is to exercise a little indulgence along with utter practicality. As with rods, if you have a chance to handle before buying, that's the ticket.

Guys, thanks for the inputs.

To clarify more points more, I think $200 is about what I want to go for a reel. I would like a sealed disc-drag, a lighter reel that is bullet proof. I know most of the smallies I hook will not pull drag, plus using 2X leaders and higher sizes will allow me to lean on fish some more vs trout and a 5X leader. (I have a 4,5 (my wifes), and 6 weight rod to at least get frustrated with if I break a trout off using lighter tippets.)

I have held the BVK and Mangrove. Personally, I liked the Mangrove a little better, but I have also read the Yellowstone Angler's 8-weight rod shootout article many times. That's where I read about the Mystic, plus a friend mentioned that to me. The real problem I see with that article, is the limits they used to critique rods as well as application is not the same as what I see I need. So, trying to pull out information towards my application is a little cumbersome. I will probably never need to cast over 60' on the James chasing smallies. So, when they start talking about 100' casts, that's "cool factor," points, but I doubt I will be able to really set the hook that well on a fish at that distance for example.

Thanks again for your time responding everyone,

Wdy

We fish smallies a lot here in Indiana and a good 6wt is all you really need. There are a lot of guys who do use a 7wt or 8wt.

Setup pretty basic. The TFO rods are a good mid range choice. For the reel, what is your preference. Line is simply a floating weight forward. If you need to get a little deeper use a longer leader.

My bass setups are 5, 7, and 9 weight St. Croix Avid. The 9wt is for largemouth, pike, and saltwater. These are the previous generation rods before they screwed up the blank. The reel I have on these are the Orvis Rocky Mountain cartridge reel. Thought I may want to change lines between float and sink tip. Never have.

You mentioned that you will never cast over 60'. True, at least in our neck of the woods we won't cast much over 20' or 30'. But the ability to cast 60' is nice in heavy wind.

Yeah, I have an old Rocky Mountain 8' 6-weight 2 piece, yeah, 2 piece. Ironically enough its weight (2-7/8oz.) is lighter then most 6 weights out today (I guess the extra ferruls add more weight), and I got this thing back in 1993 (when I was still in High School). My 6 weight does not throw the clawdads too well. I had major surgery back in April and for the first couple of months I sat around playing Xbox, and napping and throwing up. But, then I found my old fly tying kit and started tying these bigger smallmouth/bass flies. You are right, my 6 can throw it, but not too well, and I dare not throw a size 2 clawdad in the wind with that.

8 wt's are good in wind, I can attest to that. At least compared with a 6. The extra power really pushes out there. I have a second setup I use for bass, trout and LLS combined at times. It's a StCroix 9-1/2' 7/8 wt. Touted at the time as a steelhead rod. Well it has the back to swing or sling larger flies the distance you want to cast and the same back to hold large fish, yet a tip that holds medium sized trout .It casts either a 7 or 8 wt line ( you carry more line with the 7 or load it up shorter with the 8). And for an intermediate line I used to cast a 9 wt on it.. For full sink line a 7 for cold water winter fishing with big woolly buggers. I was using it this past summer for largemouth fishing in fact. Don't know if these are available or not anymore but figured I'd mention it. It can really push the line out into that 50-60 ft range. But it is not the lightest rod in the world. I'm sure there are other rods available today in a similar class and probably lighter.

I would add, about those really long casting dreams, when kayak fishing on big rivers my standard setup is a spinning outfit, a baitcaster, and fly rod. If I need to rip my shorts to get a cast out to 100', I reach for the baitcaster or spinning rod. But, being mobile on the water means I can usually bring myself closer to the strike zone for the fly.

I think you're on a good track with your selections so far; since you already have a 6, I'd just stick with the 8. My own rule of thumb for multiple rod acquisitions: always leap in weight by at least 2 weights to make a significant difference. 3-5-8 seems to be the best combo for all my fishing.

Yes, I agree with your rule of thumb, skipping by 2's. My wife's rod was such a good deal and I thought a 5 weight would be a good addition. My 4-weight is an old Orvis HLS one-ounce rod. While, I love the rod, it does not have as much backbone of fish handling power as say a normal 4 weight, or throw bigger flies.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I have the mangrove in a 9 and 12 weight, watched and read the yellowstone review as well. I have found that a lot of people are breaking the BVK rods and haven't seen one mangrove broken yet. I personally throw my rods for musky and pretty well load the rod to its max so I don't feel the "tip heaviness" that they portray in the review. Also with my large 4/0 and larger 10-18" flies I can throw 70' with two hauls and shoot. Best bet is to try cast the rods first if you can borrow them because not everyone has the same casting stroke

I fish close to where you are, needed a smallmouth/shad rod and I contacted steeldrifter and he made me exactly what I needed (7wt) and well below your price point.

My 8wt was just a little too much for Rappahannock smallies. I had three 8's already and the 7 was just right.

Just an option...

I know a gentleman who has broken 2 8wt TFO rods. They have always replaced them without question.

Always thought it was him. Hmmmm. TFO's are good rods from what I have seen, Except for his 8wt. Hmmmm.

Who cares how good they backup their warranty if it's in the back of the truck/car broken when you need it.

I have three tfo rods and regularly catch tarpon and sharks never broke a rod, if you keep your hands off the blank while its bent. You can break a fly rod with one finger if it's bent and you push up on the bottom say landing a fish and you grab the tip of the rod for control.

There is a video on you tube of a guy testing rods hey takes a 10wt and snaps it multiple times in seconds with one finger