Fly Tying
flytire

ikea led light

I had enough of my ikea light flickering on & off, went looking for lights on thursday after work! Came home with 2x AIRAM GISELA 3-stage touch dimmer & on/off switch, LED 3 W 300 lm 3000K, cant change the bulbs, but i don't care, they are made in China so they will last for ever & ever & ever!

For any of you guys buying lights that dont have easily changeable bulbs, or your buying online, the best way to tell the color of the light is look at the color temperature specs of the bulb

5600 degrees kelvin or 5600k as its commonly seen is daylight equivalent,

Under 5600k will get yellower as you go down

Over 5600k will get bluer/ greener as you go up.

That diagram is wrong flytyer well to an extent anyway the brackets are huge, daylight temp is 5600k and a photographic standards has been for ever, (I am a professional photographer) as far as lights go that will give you a neutral color now it does go very slowly to blue or yellow but noticeable none the less, if you look up the specs on a 2nd ottlite bulb you'll most likely find it very close if not exactly 5600k

Here's a comparison chart of full spectrum high definition lights as you can see they are all very close to 5600k which according to the chart posted would be blue. I dont make it a habit to give advice on topics im not experienced in just want to help some guys not get stuck with crapped lighting!

post-56603-0-74368600-1452959063_thumb.png

the only thing that truly matters to my eyes are the lamps i'm using right now! regardless of temperature!

everybody is different and you cant change that

I didnt come here to argue with someone on the internet, the other two graphs you posted are completely different than the first one they show 5600k as white! So yes they are correct your first one shows 5600k as blue dont you see that?

Your home depot full spectrum light, is 6500k very close to 5600k, much higher than 3000-4500 your first diagram shows as white, so hopefully now you can see why my advice of getting as close to 5600k was accurate.

well i received the ikea lights today and i have to say they are definitely going back to ikea

i assembled 1 light and put in my tying area and it just doesnt provide enough light for my aging eyes

it doesnt flood a large area with light. if you want a tiny spotlight on the fly it might be ok for you

i do not recommend this light

Thanks Norm. I was thinking of going out to get a couple for the same reason until I saw your post.

You saved me a few hours. :)

I was in JoAnn's today... they have lots of different Ott lights. I saw one that can be clamped onto a shelf or whatever... I might give that a try... keep from having a lamp base on my table, which has not much room. I have shelf and cabinets on the wall above my workplace.