Fly Tying
JacksonK

Tying flies for the kids of Wind River Indian Reservation

I was lucky enough to spend some time with the Shoshone people at Wind River Indian Reservation this past weekend. I went with Jay Johnson whom some of you may know from the Costa Geobass series. Talking to our host, it seems that many of the younger kids are interested in learning to fly fish. Jay and some others went up over the summer and taught some of the kids the basics. I told our host I would love to tie some flies to send up there for the kids. Right now, I'm trying to put together some little kits for the kids. My plan is to put together a 4 or 5 little assortments of 10 flies for them. Simple stuff like buggers, Hare ears, PTs, caddis, etc. If anyone feels like helping with that or has fly boxes or other stuff to donate please get in touch with me and we can figure something out.

if2vtk.jpg

28itc78.jpg

2ir6uqh.jpg

I have a friend that grew up there and fished it until he moved to Colorado. I will contact him and find out what he used that worked good and let you know.

Mike

As an update, I tied 32 flies tonight for a few of the kits. I'd love to get way more than that done so that we could give at least 10 boxes of at least 10 flies to the reservations. I have someone that offered to make free decals for the kits and I've heard from a few members wishing to help. Any and all support is welcome.

My sincerest thanks for everyone that has got in contact so far.

I'll continue to update as this project continues.

As an update, I tied 32 flies tonight for a few of the kits. I'd love to get way more than that done so that we could give at least 10 boxes of at least 10 flies to the reservations. I have someone that offered to make free decals for the kits and I've heard from a few members wishing to help. Any and all support is welcome.

My sincerest thanks for everyone that has got in contact so far.

I'll continue to update as this project continues.

were in colorado are you? i live in the colorado springs area. i have a bunch of flies laying around

Nick,

I'm in Denver. Any help is appreciated.

send me an address ill send some flies this weekend if it isnt too late.

I'll PM you. Soft deadline is the end of the month. Waiting on decals for the kits and trying to figure out something for fly boxes. Much appreciated friend.

Send me you addy PM. I will sort some flies out kids will like and fish will hopefully bite, plus I have a couple of turtle boxes left. I think 3 boxes. They were an ebay purchase of a bunch I did for another reason like this. They are the size of a palm and green turtle shell.

Oh heck, I was typing a bunch of words but before I got to a thousand I went and got a couple of pictures.

DSC01320.JPG DSC01321.JPG

These have 12 flip compartments and I'll fill them and send the bunch to you if you want them.

Nick

Send me you addy PM. I will sort some flies out kids will like and fish will hopefully bite, plus I have a couple of turtle boxes left. I think 3 boxes. They were an ebay purchase of a bunch I did for another reason like this. They are the size of a palm and green turtle shell.

Oh heck, I was typing a bunch of words but before I got to a thousand I went and got a couple of pictures.

attachicon.gifDSC01320.JPG attachicon.gifDSC01321.JPG

These have 12 flip compartments and I'll fill them and send the bunch to you if you want them.

Nick

those are really cool, im sure the kids would love to get those

I think I've responded to everyone's PMs regarding this. Thanks for the love. Should be setting these kids up right. May have some gently used rods and reels on the way too. For a little project I just decided to put together, its shaping up to be pretty badass. Thanks for everyone that has offered to contribute so far!

JacksonK, I will have a list of flies to use on the Wind River Reservation by Sunday Jan. 17th and will post it.

My friend grew up there and is making the list for me.

Mike

Okay He says if you are fishing near Thermopolis and up river to use Muddlers, Sculpin patterns, Zonkers, Woolly Buggers in sizes 2 to 6, color Green, Black or Olive. This is also food for the Reservation where he says also to use Prince nymphs and Copper Johns in sizes 10 to 12 below an indicator. If this does not work take the indicator off and this them just above the bottom cross stream and swinging down. Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks. It looks like I've tied some of those patterns already and I have a few member with flies on the way to hopefully round everything out.

Thanks. It looks like I've tied some of those patterns already and I have a few member with flies on the way to hopefully round everything out.