Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Another big tank project

wall2_zpsucal0uqo.jpg

Being one to not let grass grow under my feet, I decided to start tonight on tearing down the fake wall. All the bonsai trees are moved and already got the fake wall ripped out. Now I have a huge amount of stuff that has been on those shelves in storage and not seen the light of day in years to be carried from the basement up two levels to the attic so I can knock the shelves out to make room for the tank. These old knees will be sore from that soon.

Should be pretty cool once the tank is in place. Already looks a lot bigger back there with that fake wall gone now.

Maybe you should build a big dumbwaiter from basement to attic before you start on the tank?!?!

What size tank is that one ... 200 or more?

Who is that skinny guy in front of your tank?

tank1_zps56fd4osy.jpg

Tons of work done today. Everything is moved out of the way and got the shelves ripped out. Managed to get the tank and stand wiggled out of the utility room and into place by myself (that was fun) and found I had about 1" too little room in the recessed opening. So had to do a little "modification" to the wall to fit it back against the wall. Long ways to go still but got more done in 24hrs than I expected to have done.

Okay, so far, you need a dumbwaiter. Now I am thinking you need to dig a tunnel, and add another underground room under your backyard. Call it a bomb shelter, or a root cellar ... but it'll just be an aquarium room before long.

Mike I think I really should see a doctor because I dunno what's wrong with me. I don't know why I can't just put a tank on a stand and be happy with it. Now after sitting and starring at this for a bit tonight I think I have a bit of a change in plans.

I think I may end up taking out the lower braces on the wood stand (red wavy line) and then rebuild the brace as more of a base under the legs and attach with metal L brackets. (new base would be red straight lines). That way it would raise the whole tank 4" higher as well as give me 26" of room under the 130g tank, which would be enough room to fit the 75g bleekeri tank in there (blue lines).

tank6_zpsg0nor42a.jpg

There might be something wrong with you, Steve. Cabin fever? Cannotsitstillitus?

Whatever it is, don't get it fixed. I am quite enjoying the vicarious nature of your "illness". Just keep posting pictures ... keeps me from having to start my own tank, or Bonsai forest, or back yard garden space, or office, etc. etc. etc.

tank1_zpsvvzyuyrk.jpg

tank2_zps4b1lyztr.jpg

Got a lot of work done today. Raising and modifying the stand was a brutal job because of the way it was built plus not being able to take the tank off the stand while I was working on it, but 8 hrs later it's done.

Stand is modified and braced, new base for lower 75g tank built, foam under both tanks, leveled and filled with water for a 2nd leak test. Next will be building the wall in front and the 6ft 3d background for the main tank, but wont be able to start doing those till later next week once I get some other jobs done.

Hmmmm. One suggestion. Looking at a fully loaded surge strip on the wall, I think you need to be concerned about current carrying capacities of your household wiring.

Good work, so far.

No issue with that. It's on it's own line, plus all freshwater aquarium equipment is very low draw stuff. Only time you really have to worry about any aquarium equipment is when you run a chiller in some saltwater tanks. Those things are really high draw pieces.

Good. It just concerned me. Trees falling on sheds, tank leaking water all over the floor ... I didn't want to see you suffer a ...

Never Mind ... left unsaid so there's no "jinx".

tank1_zpsb6327rk9.jpg

tank2_zpsb7fjc3yd.jpg

Thanks Adam. Have had a beard off & on for most of my life but this time I plan to grow it out pretty long I think. Well 1am and about 12 hrs worth of work done on it today so time to throw in the towel for the night I guess. Still have a lot to do but it's finally starting to take shape now and actually look like I envisioned. Can't wait to finish all the paint and trim work so I can get started on the 6ft 3D background for it. Got some cool plans for that.