Fly Tying
trevinski

How to cure your roadside feathery gifts.

My friend has about a dozen guinea fowl at her house, im trying to convince her she's going to loose one lol

They'll let the world know what you did for hours. Haha

Lol

Hmmm...we have several peacock communities around. They aren't indigenous, aren't protected and nobody claims ownership of them so....and they have loads of nice feathers. Maybe good eating too.

Hmmm...we have several peacock communities around. They aren't indigenous, aren't protected and nobody claims ownership of them so....and they have loads of nice feathers. Maybe good eating too.

Actually you don't need to harvest the peacock since they molt annually. My mother has a few in her neighborhood and she picks a lot of feathers for me so I pretty much have a lifetime supply. Mostly eyes but some swords and brown body feathers and even the small blue feathers that I noticed Stockard now sells. As far as eating them, they don't really look that tasty but I would try almost anything once

I've got a friend (shocking, I know) that's a lawn maintenance man for a large apartment/residential community. When the Peacocks get too bothersome, they ask him to thin the flock by killing a few. He says they taste more like Turkey than chicken, but they are very good. Unfortunately, he hasn't killed any since I got back into fly tying, so I don't have any of the feathers.

Why would it offend anyone? Just don't pick up any kind of raptor or bird of prey. They are protected and, from what I understand, it is illegal under federal law to possess the bird or any part. If you see one along the road, call the wildlife agency and give the location.

Waste not, want not. Wasting resources may be against the law in some cased but it is still a sin.