Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dawgvet

How to tell tungsten from brass beads

Mike, when I went to ebay for a small, accurate scale, there were a ton of them in there with everything but a list of drug weights to go with them. I bought one and it will accurately measure individual beads in grains. Easier to read in grains versus fractions of grams. I also have found the tungsten quite attracted to a strong magnet and none of my brass beads react to magnet EXCEPT my Allen painted heads. I'm not sure if other beads are from Allen or not but I do know most of my painted ones are.

Magnetic metal dyes in the paint, on those from Allen ... maybe?

I know neodymium magnets can do, and detect, neat things.

Let one slide down an aluminum sheet ... and it makes the aluminum magnetic while it's sliding. (mutual induction at work)

If you have a strong enough magnet, Tungsten will be weakly attracted to it. Brass is NOT magnetic at all. So, you can use a very strong neodymium magnet and easily separate them.

+1

Try a magnet. Usually tungsten beads will be magnetic. Tungsten melts at over 6000 degrees so the beads are unlikey to be cast from solid tungsten.