Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

A rod I'm already excited about...

I have been looking for a rod with a cholla handle, or at least the cholla handle I could finish on a rod to add to the collection. Out of the blue a well known rodmaker and bamboo historian who has the countries largest traveling antique rod show gave me a call. His name is Jeff Hatton and is known in the bamboo field as the Gnome. He said he had a cholla handle he'd never used he'd be glad to send me. I said great, got an old blank you don't want? He got back to me the other day and said tell ya' what, I've got the strips for a couple of single tip Penta rods I've had around for awhile. I'll do the two Penta rods, 6'9" for wt's 4 or 5 wt. and I'll keep one and sell you one for cost + a little for time. Considering his last few rods he sold before he retired from rod making sold for around $3000 his price to me was ridiculous for who he is and quality of work.

Some time back, he'd gotten tight on money for a few reasons and was considering selling his traveling rod show worth many thousands. I ordered a rod from him at just the right time to help him out and got a companion rod set with presentation case of unbelievable beauty. Too pretty to fish? No, I've fished them...carefully. Since he's not officially in business he thought of the Penta strips out there and thought why not return a favor. Wonderful. Can't remember being this excited about a purchase in a long time.

What's that old line? "Didn't happen unless you got pictures," I think it was.

PICTURES ... I really want to see what that cholla handle looks like.

This is my first Gnome Companion rod. In bamboo a Companion rod is two different length butt sections with two different taper tips. I can mix and match 6'9" or 7'9" with a "wet fly" tip or "dry fly" tip. A slower 4wt or a faster 5wt. This is the rod in it's presentation case. Note scrimshaw Mammoth tusk on right side.

DSC00986_zpscu9focvs.jpg

This is his scrimshaw of a stone arch bridge I fished up in Finland MN a lot. 'Course it was on road to my future wife's house too. Pic is little darker than scrimshaw.

DSC01000_zpsepjlxh36.jpg

His handles are mortised bamboo and wood growing into handle and tapered into reel seat. Engraved rings front and back of handle.

b67e37ff-2f3b-43d1-b505-fa442f0fdaae_zps

Embossed and engraved reel slide rings.

DSC00992_zpsultps3pq.jpg