Fly Tying
Triplef

Renzetti . . . absolutely! But which one?

Looks pretty, Triplef. I'll give you $30.00 for it, if you'll pay the shipping !!!

Just kidding. I know there are collectors of everything ... I am just not one of them.

A knife needs to hold an edge without being brittle and the lockback needs to work.

I hear ya Mike. I do really appreciate a top quality handmade knife, it's just not something I'll drop the kind of cash even it is a fair price. I consider knife making an art form just like painting, photography, or sculpture. Now a pattern welded short sword or a museum quality reproduction Scandinavian Migration Era ring sword, yeah I'd start counting my change bucket if I needed to in order to make that happen at $400. Heck if I could afford to drop it on a "Useless hobby" you could add a zero or two to that and I'd be game for the right piece.

Many Renzetti model are using rubber 'O' ring which is a pain. every 8 month or so I have to replace it.

it is expensive in my country. So I bought the Renzetti Master which never use the "O" ring .you need 1/4

of a strength to clamp a hook. compare to Atlas where you need a cow strength to clamp a hook.

i bought a renzetti traveler in 1988 and never had to replace the o-ring so thats a non factor for anyone wanting to buy a traveler

i bought a renzetti traveler in 1988 and never had to replace the o-ring so thats a non factor for anyone wanting to buy a traveler

It depend on your climate , here is summer every day, the whole year.

I've had to replace the O rings several times but substitutes were easy find at the time. Friend of mine at the local fly shop gave me a 1/2 dz. Now if I could only remember where I put them.

That is why I get the Renzetti Master, no need to replace "O" ring. But the price.

I just bought another vise. it cost US$1.50 only. It is for hook larger than 10/0.

off cos I can't rotate it. Note that the "LOON" is longer than the vise. Hence it is a very small with

a jaw wide 1 1/2 inches.

2cp3wq0.jpg

In fact I just tie some flies on it. right most is size 6/0 the other 2, I don't know the size number, it is not written on the package. this picture were taken on my room door, yes it is paste there, decoration? smile.png

33cb0pl.jpg

That is why I get the Renzetti Master, no need to replace "O" ring. But the price.

I just bought another vise. it cost US$1.50 only. It is for hook larger than 10/0.

off cos I can't rotate it. Note that the "LOON" is longer than the vise. Hence it is a very small with

a jaw wide 1 1/2 inches.

2cp3wq0.jpg

Hahahaha! Honestly my first attempt at tying a fly was using a similar vice! It worked . . . sort of . . .

I've got a small vise like that on my bench. I use it to hold a large skewer I use for my popper bodies. It is NOT a high quality vise, and would not hold a hook for tying, unless I centered the hook on the vise, which would prevent me from wrapping under the hook.

Useless for fly tying ... handy for holding larger objects.

I bought a Renzetti Apprentice FAKE. yes fake, the reason is it look better than the Renzetti . the price is US$48 including shipping.

It can't clamp smaller hook lower than 10 but advertise 22. So I play with it, I remove a washer which limit the jaw movement. guess what? the jaw broke upon clamping. So I hurry to my fly shop and replace the jaw with original Renzetti Apprentice jaw which cost US$37. Now it work more beautifully. one reason about Renzetti, they anodized their vise which turn like shit after few year.

secondly they use rubber "O" ring for their jaw clamp which detorite over time.

if you see the fake in ebay, ignore it.

the fake

ztsoys.jpg