Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TedderX

Invented Flies

Well, i went to the Ark this morning. It is so high and muddy. With the rain the last 3 days in a row it is hard to find any Caddis. They go to ground and hide in the rain and have to wait for the humidity to drop enough for them to dry/fly. I always wondered if that wasn't how/why the term dry-fly came to exist???

The Fountain looks even worse. Fishing won't be too good this weekend...unless you are using worms.

Sorry having problems loading the pic.

This is not my October Caddis. It is another TUBE FORM CADDIS. I think there were 2 others Dr.Herman described...i can't remember. The one in the pic is almost 3x as big as the October. And he appears to have been beaten up pretty badly. He cant even pull his wings shut to hide his face like normal.

Normally a tube form will have all of it's legs tucked under it. a couple will be wrapped to hold the wings in the tube form. Thus this guy isn't perfect. I think he decided to sit and die, so i didn't want to mess with him.

Give me a little time to get a camera...i will try to show all three types and what little i know of them.

You do not want to know how much fighting it took to get my brother to take this on his phone...I need my own camera. My problem is that win 10 won't recognize most cameras. Any suggestions on finding a camera that will meet my needs for going small but doesn't cost more than about $50??? I am looking.

Any Canon, Sony or Nikon have worked for me ....Any phone camera works well also

Retrocarp...That is almost perfect. If you can find a darker tan that gets closer to the one in my picture you will increase hits. Switch to a lighter (cream, white, or grizzle) hackle and reduce the amount a little. If you notice fish snubbing it Shorten the tail about 1/3 from the tip based on your first loop/tie-in, and trim the lower hackle from the gap side. IDK about the wire...Maybe it will last longer but it might make the meniscus indent too large??? That hook is a REAL good choice...What is it?

The one you tied, as is, should net 20-30 strikes an hour during the season. I found that fish don't eat them on hatches but wait till they return to lay eggs. This is always in the later afternoons. And it still drives me nuts that i can't find a hatch, but you can sometimes see clouds of them. I wish i had Dr Herman around to ask a lot more questions about that. I can't find where he went when he retired about 3 years ago.

Has any-one figured out yet why the foam is so needed over other material selections? When i tell that ever-one will quit tying hair Caddis patterns, around this part of the country at least. I have already told why the foam became so important...Just put it together. I will tell before they start to take over the lower Arkansas.

The camera is a sore spot with me. I spent a lot of money on this stupid HP camera only to find that now it is not much more useful than a paper weight...actually it is too light for that even. i tried Tyler's phone and the pic above just doesn't cut it. Those phone cameras don't seem able to give enough detail to show the things i really want to.

I was forced to go to Win10 because of getting hacked (HARD). It turns out that you can not get win10 to recognize a camera the same way that XP does so the computer will never acknowledge the camera when you hook it up unless it was built with a sub routine...My brothers would have to explain all of that...i barely know anything about computer software protocols. But this is only with direct hard wiring for download??? (i think that is right???) But if the camera can download wireless (wi-fi). Then the computer only sees the picture and not the camera... I don't understand any of this well enough to figure out what cameras will work with win10. I could use some help with this since my brothers are just being jerks right now.

dr vette

a picture (of your fly) is worth a thousand words

bastians floating caddis emerger by don bastian

bfce-olive.jpg

Flytire, You can fish that here if you want...i will just sit back and giggle to my-self. That might net you a few fish if you are real good in your presentation, but will never give you that "perfect day".

The meniscus profile that would give would send almost every fish that sees it running.

This is what took me years to get past...tying how i was taught was wrong. I had to get rid of everything to find this stupidly simple fly.

My problem is that win 10 won't recognize most cameras. Any suggestions on finding a camera that will meet my needs for going small but doesn't cost more than about $50??? I am looking.

Have you tried a card reader? You don't have to connect the camera to the computer to get the photo's.Just remove the memory card and use a card reader to download the photo's.I have Win10 and and have downloaded photo's from several different cards.Have not seen one yet that Win10 will not recognize.

Retrocarp...That is almost perfect. If you can find a darker tan that gets closer to the one in my picture you will increase hits. Switch to a lighter (cream, white, or grizzle) hackle and reduce the amount a little. If you notice fish snubbing it Shorten the tail about 1/3 from the tip based on your first loop/tie-in, and trim the lower hackle from the gap side. IDK about the wire...Maybe it will last longer but it might make the meniscus indent too large??? That hook is a REAL good choice...What is it?

The one you tied, as is, should net 20-30 strikes an hour during the season. I found that fish don't eat them on hatches but wait till they return to lay eggs. This is always in the later afternoons. And it still drives me nuts that i can't find a hatch, but you can sometimes see clouds of them. I wish i had Dr Herman around to ask a lot more questions about that. I can't find where he went when he retired about 3 years ago.

Has any-one figured out yet why the foam is so needed over other material selections? When i tell that ever-one will quit tying hair Caddis patterns, around this part of the country at least. I have already told why the foam became so important...Just put it together. I will tell before they start to take over the lower Arkansas.

The camera is a sore spot with me. I spent a lot of money on this stupid HP camera only to find that now it is not much more useful than a paper weight...actually it is too light for that even. i tried Tyler's phone and the pic above just doesn't cut it. Those phone cameras don't seem able to give enough detail to show the things i really want to.

I was forced to go to Win10 because of getting hacked (HARD). It turns out that you can not get win10 to recognize a camera the same way that XP does so the computer will never acknowledge the camera when you hook it up unless it was built with a sub routine...My brothers would have to explain all of that...i barely know anything about computer software protocols. But this is only with direct hard wiring for download??? (i think that is right???) But if the camera can download wireless (wi-fi). Then the computer only sees the picture and not the camera... I don't understand any of this well enough to figure out what cameras will work with win10. I could use some help with this since my brothers are just being jerks right now.

Hi DrVette,

Regarding the wire.....it is just olive thread to make the fly retain its shape.

I do however have a darker foam which I will tie one as suggested with grizzle hackle

The hook used is a kamasan B175 size #14 if this is too heavy..... I may try a mustad R50 dry/wet standard hook

Regards

Retro

My problem is that win 10 won't recognize most cameras. Any suggestions on finding a camera that will meet my needs for going small but doesn't cost more than about $50??? I am looking.

Have you tried a card reader? You don't have to connect the camera to the computer to get the photo's.Just remove the memory card and use a card reader to download the photo's.I have Win10 and and have downloaded photo's from several different cards.Have not seen one yet that Win10 will not recognize.

When my brothers chill out i will see if there is a way to add a reader to my computer...I did find that i can take my card to Wallgreens and get it burned to CD, but just can't afford to do that very much...They are high on their price for that. I am not even printing and you want how much? was how that went.

Retrocarp...I wish i had your camera. The detail looks like a wire and not thread. I did forget to remind you to run the thread base far into the hook gab...about 1/3 to 1/2. The reason for this is to break up the film and let the hook slip under the meniscus profile. If you don't the hook will sometimes land on it's side and the hook is so large compared to the fly that it will sit on the surface film and chase away the fish.

While this fly looks simple it does have a lot of testing and tuning behind it.

post-37956-0-83055700-1471836210_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-75277400-1471836219_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-02118700-1471836231_thumb.jpg

Updated version of Rolled Caddis

Tied on a Mustad R70 size#16

Camera used is a Nikon Coolpix S6500 which I picked up for 120.00AUD via ebay factory refurbished model

I am sure it would be far cheaper in the United States