Fly Tying
Kudu

Pettijean tools

Here are instructions for a home made Magic Tool:

You will need thick foam blocks (from a thick pair of foam sandals), an old credit card, and a set of bulldog paper clamps. Cut a straight slit in the foam blocks from end to end. The slit has to reach to both ends of the foam blocks to be able to release the fibers later.

Put the CDC fiber stems over the slit in the foam block and pull the fibers into the slit by their ends. If the plumes do not extend over the end of the block and cannot be pulled in, use the old credit card to push the CDC fiber stems into the slit.

Use the paper clamp in the place of the transparent Petitjean clamp to hold the end of the CDC plumes. Open the slit in the foam block to release the fibers and you are in business. The CDC fibers are lined up, cut off the stem(s) and place the fibers into the dubbing loop.

With this simple set of homemade and cheap bought tools you can do what the Magic Tool does. See the instructions below:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing1.htm

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing2.htm

See the tying methods below:

I have most of Pettijean's tools and really like them. I also have his Master Vise (pedestal base model).

His tools are extremely well made and the design is very well thought through. One small tool of his is often overlooked. He has a little plastic devise which allows one to compress material held in his magic tool and then use it for either wings or a post.......usually done with CDC feathers.

The Magic stacker is not a bad tool

petitjean-magic-tool-stacker-3.gif

but the same thing can be accomplished with this tool.

pACE3-20118383enh-z6.jpg

I just dulled down the blade with some emery cloth.

Mahalo,
Kimo

Not sure how the ACE hardware parts work, but I do know how Petijean's hair stacker works with his material clips....,,,perfectly.

Going to go for the stacker and the tool. Expensive but I got a little bit of a discount from Stockard.

Mahalo for that video....I think I saw the Perigean stacker there? Wanna sell it cheap?

:)

Kimo

I purchased the Pettijean clips when initially introduced. The O rings gave out and broke after a few years. Also tried the bulldog clips but much preferr the Pettijean.

When I met Marc at a fly tying show I explained my problem and he quickly gave me two kits of the new stainless coil springs for my large and small sets. First class customer service.

Regards,

FK

I purchased the Pettijean clips when initially introduced. The O rings gave out and broke after a few years. Also tried the bulldog clips but much preferr the Pettijean.

When I met Marc at a fly tying show I explained my problem and he quickly gave me two kits of the new stainless coil springs for my large and small sets. First class customer service.

Regards,

FK

Also had the same problem. Contacted them thru their website and they also sent me out a set

of their stainless coil springs.

If you'll look closely at my above video you'll see that I added another set of O-rings.

I like the additional pressure.

Excellent Customer service.

Kimo

Did I also notice Kimo (James) using the Pettijean long scissors in that video???

That's one of the few tools of his that I don't yet have. Still using a "plain" pair.

You are right, it does work perfectly.

The paint scraper is just a hack.

Mahalo,

Kimo

James,

I also noticed that you stacked the CDC with the "long ends" in the clip. I believe Marc (and therefore I) transfer between clips in order to have the longer ends of the CDC material on the outside of the clip before using the stacker to compress the fibers? I'm not saying it is important to do as Marc does, just noticed the difference.....I believe.

You are right, it does work perfectly.

The paint scraper is just a hack.

Mahalo,

Kimo

James,

I also noticed that you stacked the CDC with the "long ends" in the clip. I believe Marc (and therefore I) transfer between clips in order to have the longer ends of the CDC material on the outside of the clip before using the stacker to compress the fibers? I'm not saying it is important to do as Marc does, just noticed the difference.....I believe. Marc's way orients the fibers toward the rear of the fly when removing from the clip

I've noticed he does switch clips also.

I'm used to doing it this way because I use it a lot

when doing a split thread dubbing brush. This way

shields the fibers as I slip it into the split thread.

You'll also note that the top face of the table is frosted.

This is because I sanded it down because I didn't like how deep the material

went into the table when you press it into the table. Some of the materials

I use do not have very long fibers making it hard to grasp them after they have been

pressed into the table.

Both techniques work just as well. Mine is just one last step.

Yes, that is a pair of Petitjean long scissors. I like them because they are extremely sharp,

really long blade area, and the width of the blade is very narrow, both in its thickness and height.

The Renzetti long scissors are comparable and are serrated.

Byron,

Of note, Kimo is my Hawaiian moniker when I played on a All-Polynesian volleyball team.

Kimo

"Kimo" translates to "James" over here.

Again, I like Petijean tools.........I know some folks look for substitutes. His tools work perfectly. In addition, I believe we should support those innovators like Marc who design and develop great tying tools. If not for folks like him and his risk taking, we wouldn't have the great tying innovations we have today.