Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bass master

The importance of the correct hook and material.

I mostly use straight hooks, caddis and scuds aren't always curled up. Scuds for instance straighten out to swim. My straight hooked scuds catch fish just fine. Right now I think I have one number curved hook and that's it, in size 12 and 14. I also have exactly one number and size salmon hook. Can't tell you how many caddis I tied on the 3906B hook, both wet and dry, or how many salmon I've caught on those either. They work. And 94840's I think are better than ever since they went to a more even curve to the point. If I had to live with just those two numbers and a streamer hook or two I could do that. At one point in time that's just what I did. We caught a lot of fish on about 4 hook numbers for years. Lot's of sizes but just a few numbers. I've caught more fish on straight caddis emergers than on bent ones for sure, because I've fished them more and my patterns just lay out better on them as well.. Simple still gets fish LOL !

I really have nothing to add, other than, Welcome to the Addiction!

Use what you have, but take every chance that presents itself to buy more materials. That's at least 1/2 the fun.

Welcome to the site & to tying. There's been some very good comments & advice given. Some of us here have been at this a long time & have witnessed the progression & changes with hooks & materials over the years. At one time the hook & material choices were more limited than they are now, so that's why some pattern recipes specify specific hooks or materials, particularly if it's an old pattern. That's what was available at the time the pattern was developed. Doesn't mean other hooks can't or shouldn't be used. As Cold said, there can also be various good reasons why specific materials or hooks are given in a recipe, depending on what the pattern is intended to do, plus all of us have favorites we like to use. However, you can pretty much do as you wish with making substitutions, and in many patterns a similar material or hook won't have any negative impact on the pattern. It's usually best to use a "similar" material when making a substitution, but not always necessary. A good example might be using Mallard Drake breast feather as a substitute for Wigeon Drake breast feathers. They both look similar & will have similar movement when sized properly for the pattern. Very few folks would be able to tell the difference when looking at the completed fly.

You may even find that a material ( or hook) you substitute actually improves the pattern as far as how it fishes. I substitute Fox fur for bucktail in small Clouser Minnows, which IMO gives them a better action than the bucktail.

As long as you're not making changes that hurt the use of the pattern, for example using a hook that has a much narrower gap than what's given in a recipe, it's likely not going to change the potential effectiveness. I found long ago that all patterns will work, some time, some place. Recipes are provided to preserve a pattern so that others can tie it, but none of this is ever law. ( Except for Mike!wink.png )

laugh.png

tidewaterfly, That what I am saying. Like your Clouser... Im not trying to re invent the wheel. Just use what works for me. And what I have on hand. My flies are not going in a shadow box to be displayed. I am far, far from that. Heck, at 52 I just want to sit down and enjoy tying. I got started because I was looking for a hobby. The one thing I have found is your always asking your self..Can I use that in a fly. And i all so pick up road kill.

Bass Master, welcome to the site & tying! Yep, really no need to reinvent the wheel. However, there can be many ways to get similar results. It's fishing, and fish are not difficult to fool. I tell folks all the time, if you think the fish are smarter than you are, then they will be.

I haven't picked up any road kill in many years, but you're not the only one who has! laugh.png

For my Clouser example, I tie a lot of them with bucktail, because it works, but as I get smaller with them a finer material, such as Fox works better. The longer you fish & tie the flies, the more you develop a sense for materials & the motion or action they're going to have in a fly. Most of it is observation & experience.

The longer you tie, the more you see potential in all kinds of things for tying. Funny, but there are now "famous" tyers who have become known for their flies, doing things I know I did 30 years ago or longer. I'm sure many here have done the same. It's not rocket science! wink.png