Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j8000

Best feather for wet wing fly

The primaries are usually the largest feathers on the wing. A pair of mallard wings will tie a huge range of standard patterns. You can tie larger fly's than 12 using duck quills. If you find you enjoy tying them and want to try colored married wings, Nature's Spirit brand has pretty good quality quills. Order at least double what you'll think you need. You go through quite a few, since not all the wings will set picture perfect every time, at least not for me anyway. Other brands tend to have many beat up, ragged pairs that you just can't use as much of the feather.

Regards,

Mark

or, if you are just trying to trick an animal with a brain the size of a BB ...

I get so tired of this line of thinking.

Granted, fish are creatures of instinct, with NO human-like feelings or cognition.

Instinct, however, has kept many a creature viable on this planet for MUCH longer than intelligence.

And, based on current events, intelligence will burn out and die off on this planet much, MUCH sooner than instinct.

Awesome answer, Mike! Keep 'em coming.

But to be fair to Flat Rock native, this part of his post is quite valid.

... you can use grey polyolfin yarn, in color to match the natural, trimmed in the shape of a wing. Go for the feathers first and learn technique, many shortcuts work fine if you tie for the fish

I often substitute synthetics for feather wings. Mostly because quill wings drive me crazy. I'm just no good at feather wings, especially quills. I always read these threads, get inspired, try some Leadwing or Royal Coachman, ... , give up in despair.

What's the difference in duck quills and the primary wing feathers. (Sorry, but this is the beginner section.) I got convinced to tie a few Leadwing coachman's and a few other classic winged flies.

Me too j8000, those videos posted by flytier were very good, but I do not recall whether your question above was addressed. I don' t think so. When I figure it out I am going to try a Leadwing, a Royal Coacnman, a Rio Grande King, and something with yellow or tan.. The information you prompted restored my faith in getting them done properly. I have tons (...ounces) of feathers but not sure if correct. If so I will be happy to mail some out. Happy Thanksgiving

Keep posting

flytire posted some additional information. It is great reference stuff, some prepared earlier by Crackaig. The answer is QUILLs, confirmed also by Jack Dennis book I pulled off my shelves, which depicts a Rio Grande King with a duck quill that looks like same as shown in those tieing videos

If you go to JStockard's site you can see matched Quills. They are sold as separate feather pairs , not as the whole wing. Those are what you want. for a leadwing. I'd buy both natural gray and dyed gray, then decide later which one you liked or the fish liked best.

Edit: White Quills for the Royal Coachman.

you CAN BUY THE ENTIRE WING and pull out singular feathers (quills) from it

just buy a MATCHED PAIR OF WINGS

wings_zpswwvktcuz.jpg

Another option if you can find it is Goose Shoulder. It is an acceptable substitute for Swan in Classic Salmon flies. You can get it in various dyed colors.

Bruce Norikane remark: "...I often substitute synthetics for feather wings. Mostly because quill wings drive me crazy. I'm just no good at feather wings, especially quills. I always read these threads, get inspired, try some Leadwing or Royal Coachman, ... , give up in despair."

Bruce, you need to know mine was not a valid remark, in retrospect. It was a smartazz joke, born of the despair of which you speak. But thanks mainly to flytire & Crackaig, and FTF in general, I am going to do it and tying a winged, wet Rio Grande King properly is my official 2017 New Year's Resolution. Since now I have more time and was able to afford to have the proper materials. And, I already know I be goin thru a buncha dem Quills, before I get a righteous copy. Keep posting

I ended up ordering two pairs of matched whole duck wings. That should give me plenty of practice before I need/want other types that may be more expensive.

I ended up ordering two pairs of matched whole duck wings. That should give me plenty of practice before I need/want other types that may be more expensive.

You certainly will get a bunch of Leadwing Coachman and other gray winged flies out of those.

A very long time ago I bought red and also white matched duck quill with the intent of making the Parmechene Bell wet flies. I've never gotten around to that, finding the Royal Coachman and Leadwing Coachman to be sufficient for my needs.But you gotta admit that the Parmechene Bell sure is a pretty fly. ParmacheneBelle.jpg

As far as I can tell after reading all the posts the way to stop the quill slips from separating is to not put any thread wraps behind your pinch wrap. Am I getting it or still missing something?

Les

As far as I can tell after reading all the posts the way to stop the quill slips from separating is to not put any thread wraps behind your pinch wrap. Am I getting it or still missing something?

Les

Lesg, I believe you have hit the most important element, but I was really encouraged by video posted via flytire, made it look easy... Yeah Right...:)