Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

tis the season....

We had a CC fraud once back in MN that was quickly taken care of but the more unusual one was our Credit Union checking acc't. My wife would go on there periodically just to check the mortgage payment had gone out as it was supposed too and look for any problems. Surprise!!! No money in the checking acc't and most of the money in the savings had been moved to checking and stripped out. Called the Credit Union and they said they had the checks in from Florida. We lived in MN. Turns out there was ring that would get the routing # and account # from your checks, then print their own very official looking checks on a fake bank with fake names but they'd have IDs to match those names. The checks they printed were very good and when they wrote them out the routing and account numbers would go to your bank and slide right thru since #s all checked out. Credit Union made good on well over a thousand of money and just goes to show people will go through a lot of work to avoid work and rip you off.

I never sign my cards and only carry one CC and one Debit Card from the same bank for years. On the back I write "See PIcture ID". Only one in dozen or more cashiers will even look at this and then they'd seldom bother to actually make me dig out my wallet to show my Driver's License. When they do they often say "Sorry to trouble you" and I just tell them I appreciate their actually checking since that's why I put it there.

I have also been a victim a number of times, but I never was made responsible for anything.

One time I "bought" $5,000 in scuba equipment in California and a plane ticket to Malaysia.

I canceled one credit card because the company did not seem to be getting a handle on it. It happened to my card, its replacement and the replacement of that one in a period of about a year. They were able to get in and change my address, phone numbers, etc. in spite of the security measures supposedly in place.

On the other extreme, I had another company call me once to check if I had put in gas at a different than usual gas station that morning.

They know more about you than yourselves.

my card company is issuing me a new card and i shredded the old one. i havent decided if i'm gonna activate the new card

i write on the back of all cards "ask for id" and appreciate it when a clerk asks. most of the time they dont

Not only do they not check the signature on the card, or an ID, but more or less recently it feels like the limits have been raised for even the requirement of a signature at checkout.

the credit card company is irrelevant as all credit card companies offer the same services as mine does