Fly Tying

Here is my first fly pattern that I have come up with on my own. I would like to get ideas on what people think of it.

Pattern:

Hook- Size 2 Mustad 3366-BR

Thread- UTC 140 Denier Gray Brown

Body- Rabbit zonkers Natural/Gray

Eyes- Living Eyes Ice 5 mm

Tail- Chinese Strung Hackles Gray

Flash- Krystal Flash Pearl

post-59929-0-58981600-1480291691_thumb.jpg

post-59929-0-39501900-1480292722_thumb.jpg

post-59929-0-10704000-1480292792_thumb.jpg

I like it! That will catch fish too! smile.png

IMO, it looks like a variation on the Seaducer streamer, except with the rabbit fur body. I tie a lot of flies with rabbit fur bodies, and it's a great method for most any predatory fish.

My only critique, I like more pairs of hackle in the tail, 3 minimum, but that's just my personal preference. If the hackle gets ripped off, you don't have much of a tail left, that's why I like more. It also pushes more water with more hackles.

Be sure to finish the head with several coats of head cement, epoxy or UV cure acrylic, whatever you like to use. That will aid in keeping those eyes on longer. wink.png

Only getting it wet would tell the tale but my opinion is it is overcrowded with hair and is not going to swim well. Kind of like pulling a chunk of fuzz through the water rather than a swimming, pulsing motion. Only taking it out and getting it wet would prove that out though.

I am with vicrider on this one I think it looks over crowded as well. Perhaps try cutting the hair of the zonkers and tying it in like you would ep fiber, might be able to thin it down and shape it better.

I'm with Vic. Way to much going on there. I'm imagining that it will swim like a wet sock but you can never really tell until their all wet. I think it needs Less zonkers and more hackle. Whats the intended target with it and what do you intend on casting it with? What's a kezar? Do kezars like Pomeranians? If so you nailed it.

L.B. don ' t be discouraged with comments, this fly will fish just fine. Unless the water is still, clear, and shallow, then it might intimidate hook-ups from small fish.

After you catch and release about 20 critters, then worry if you over- dressed it. Or, if you catch zero, think more about it.

Out in the West, USA, we like too much hair, feathers, or whatever... Why? Because we have big, fast, deep rivers and fish do not get a long look at your presentation. But, they will 'feel" when food is in their feeding zone. Lateral lines...sight too.

If you are going for award-winning pictures, that fly needs some thinning out. If you wish to catch fish, you are fine, just go have some FUN... Keep tying and posting...

I agree poopdeck, there is no quarrel here with anything anyone said.

Just hoping he doesn't throw it away and start over, with much less fuzz, without trying to fish it. I haven't personally had much success with giving my hirsute models a haircut. They mostly fish ok or I let the grandkids practice until they lose them.

I enjoy your posts, and these above, too, so carry on...

I don't think it's as over crowed as it looks. It appears he used straight cut rabbit strips instead of cross cut. I've done that plenty of times. It looks "fluffy" but never had an issue with fishing them once they get wet. As said, that will tell whether it's too much hair or not.

Yes, rabbit does get heavy when wet, that's for sure!