Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joshpilon08

ice fishing ties

If you can relate where and for what you are fishing, there ought to be many FTF members to help... Here is a crappie fly to get you started... Check for Chris Milhulka, on webIMG_1536.PNG

To start with I've never done ice fishing, and I don't know anything about it. However, a few years ago I put together a box of flies for someone who's brother lives in Canada. They were trout flies, which I thought were to use in the summer months as I would here. However they went ice fishing, and this was the fly they caught most on, apperently.

post-43582-0-57954400-1483785222_thumb.jpg

It's called the Teifi Terror.

Hook Wet fly 10 to 16

Thread: Black

Rib: Gold wire

Hackle: Coch-y-bhondu (Black centre and tip on a "brown" [red game] hackle)

Cheers,

C.

Guest rich mc

its best to have a horizontal presentation . check out phil rowleys balanced leech and minnow flies or the wee willie by craig riendeau

For the panfish, any nymph you use for trout - with a bead head especially - can work as a great little jig. I like to take gold beads on a 8-16 hook and just do a little puff of hackle or bou - almost like a shad dart. So often ice fishing jigs are tipped with a meal worm or maggot or bit of minnow, so the dressing on the jig is more to add a smidge of attraction...

I've not tied stuff for bigger species ice fishing... but I'd bet a balanced leach would catch like crazy!