Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

A Reel Quandary...

Thanks Bimini15 -I think that's actually the clutch bearing that is further down in the guts of the reel --forgive me if my language is overly technical here :) -- the bearing I lost is a teeny tiny little thing, maybe 1/4" across? Anyway it's no biggie, the reel looks like it's going to sell, and if it doesn't I'll just keep it as a backup. I appreciate you looking that up though.

No problem. I have one just like that and I am happy with it, but the thought crossed my mind that one day I may need parts for it. I had this bookmarked already.

No problem. I have one just like that and I am happy with it, but the thought crossed my mind that one day I may need parts for it. I had this bookmarked already.

Actually it looks like they have all kinds and sizes of sealed bearings...all i'd have to do is measure mine (ID, OD and width) and buy the right size...looks like it would set me back a whole $1.50 or so. Great resource! I'm bookmarking it too. :)

Might be a little late chiming in but I'm a fan of the cabelas reels. I have a couple prestige plus and last year I bought two RLS reels, one spooled with an intermediate sink and the other a floating line, for a TFO 8wt. I bought both RLS reels for almost 50% off. I only buy things when they are on sale. Not just any sale but mega blowout sales. In fact I rarely buy a rod and reel at the same time. I've been known to let a rod or reel sit around for a year until the perfect rod or reel sale comes along. And yes I will wait for a great deal on fly line as well. Typically reels and line seem to go on sale at the same time though. Yes I have great patience. I currently have a penn saltwater spinning reel sitting NIB that I could not pass up. Been there since September 2016. I know a good rod deal will rear its head soon. Funny thing is I can spend or buy whatever I want with no financial limitations. It must be ADD or AHD or some other acronym.

Anyway, back to the reels. The RLS reels have a great drag, they are machined aluminum, and I couldn't be happier with them. I also like the prestige line but can't comment on the drag because I have yet to catch anything on them that required any great use of the drag. I'm a set the drag tight kind of guy no matter how I'm fishing or what I'm fishing for. I've never bought a spare spool as I prefer getting two, three or four reels for what most FF pay for one reel and a spool. There's some very good budget reels out there but I don't think I would go 29 dollar Chinese cheap. If I did I would have bought two reels and no spools.

Actually it looks like they have all kinds and sizes of sealed bearings...all i'd have to do is measure mine (ID, OD and width) and buy the right size...looks like it would set me back a whole $1.50 or so. Great resource! I'm bookmarking it too. :)

I still think you should get yourself a new one as well, you know... just in case... ;)

Actually it looks like they have all kinds and sizes of sealed bearings...all i'd have to do is measure mine (ID, OD and width) and buy the right size...looks like it would set me back a whole $1.50 or so. Great resource! I'm bookmarking it too. smile.png

I still think you should get yourself a new one as well, you know... just in case... wink.png

I was actually thinking the same thing, and was about to do it, but then I got a notification that the red reel and spool had sold. I had disclosed in the item description about there being only the one bearing, the need to switch it out when you switch spools, etc., so obviously the buyer wasn't bothered by it. I am keeping that site bookmarked though. :)