Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Zimmerman Booby Frog

Has anyone tied and fished this fly? I think it looks great but that usually means I won't catch jack with it. I'd love to hear some responses prior to scouring the net for booby foam eyes.

Obviously not a very popular fly with the crowd. I'll track down the supplies and report.

I can't figure how a couple tufts of marabou would make it weedless. Might tie a couple up with foam cylinders myself though. Not terribly complicated.

I was going to put that page up, flytire ... but Kudu asked if anyone had experience with the fly, not how to tie it.

fishinguy ... the marabou only helps make it weedless. The hook point up orientation is the main reason it'll slide over pads, etc.

It's similar to many sinking flies, designed to do the same thing, just on the surface.

I might try some of those, too. Thanks Kudu, for bringing reminding me about it.

Thanks flytire I had already printed that page. The originator of the fly works at Charlie Cravens flyshop. I think I'll call there for the eyes and talk to them about it.

Well so what. It will help other tyers that may want the instructions on how to tie and not to criticize what other people post.

Maybe reading the description of the fly pattern will give additional insight on the pattern

Lighten up, flytire. I wasn't criticizing what you posted. Only mentioning that I'd seen the same info and I didn't.

This one's definitely not weedless. Similar concept, tied with foam cylinder. Produced several bass and a couple of pickerel over the spring and summer. This particular one was destroyed by a pike up in Canada back in August.

post-309-0-67176000-1484427272_thumb.jpg