Fly Tying
jd1983

GSMNP fishing tournament

You must remember that it has taken a decade to get to this point. It started as nothing more then a couple boats of friends for bragging rights. Others heard and wanted in the next year. Still more heard the following year and wanted to be invited. By the 4th year it started to grow wings and we decided to turn it into a fundraiser to benifit the Heroes scholarship fund which pays for the 4 year college education for children of police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. It starts with having great charitable organization that people want to help. Honestly we could easily triple the amount because there are plenty of people willing to donate money to worthy causes. Unfortunately we have to cap it because of a lack of volunteers willing to help organize and seek the sponsorships. It takes an incredible amount of work and planning to have a succesful event.

Don't be afraid to start small. If done correctly it will grow.

Should call it the Doctors, Lawyers and Insurance Agents tournament. They're the ones who can drop that kind of money w/o batting and eye.

Me, I'm looking at $800+ for new tires and probably that or more for a clutch job on my truck too and the wife wants a new dryer on top of getting a very expensive tooth implant very soon. I'm gonna be so broke I wont even be able to pay attention.

Nope. No way. There are several parts of me which are unusually small... two of them are my wallet and my ego.

Although I have fished a few in the past, "Tournaments" repulse me. They are the exact opposite of why I fish. In my opinion, fly fishing tournaments are the height of absurdity. Well, maybe not the pinnacle, but they are way up there.

I did a lot bass fishing tournaments over the years and even the ones that were directly benefiting some "cause" or another paid back money to the top boats. I fished tournaments that cost anywhere from $25 to $250 per boat and from a dozen boats (often referred to jackpot tourneys) to close to a hundred, which doesn't make for quiet water to yourself. I'd really be interested in getting into "one fly" tournaments if I was younger and had spent more time on trout waters instead of bass waters in the years I was into tournament fishing. I love competition in everything I do and the whole concept of limiting yourself to one choice and the need to protect that fly for the day is a fantastic challenge. Would I think about joining your tournament? Unfortunately no but it's not because of the cost and concept but because I'm just not able to hike and fish the mountain streams anymore. I wish you luck on your endeavor for a good cause.