Fly Tying

P6101108_zps6cov4qt9.jpg

If there is any common interest in obtaining J-stuff, the sting of international postage can be tempered by having multiple orders sent out in one parcel, then "redistributed" once is escapes from the Black Hole of Customs @ JFK in New York to find it's way to a domestic front porch...

Just sayin'

Another outside possibility... Jay may be attending the Fly Tying Symposium... remainstobeseen...

P6161144_zpsolavaksc.jpg

Peter - That lawn isn't going to mow itself, or is it? Something has the dog's attention!

Too funny... Area61 on Kape Kodistan... my little bit of Heaven had a front yard and a back yard [both trimmed]...

and then there was the Outback... somewhat "primitive" and untrimmed...

the hanging chair, bird houses, camper, solitude, and close to the water...

IMG_0659_zps08008a2a.jpg

IMG_8433-1.jpg

P6041018.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg

The hanging chair now swings at Pete's Last Resort [kept lawn] near Morehead City and Albie-ville...

Life is mighty fine in NC... !

DSCN1093_zps09mqmecw.jpg

Pete,

I have always admired your tying and commentary.

It was some of your posts that I found several years back while researching the JVice that helped make my decision.

And it was a good one! From Jay to the rosewood block he made for me and all the great stuff in between I can honestly say its the best money i ever spent!

lahHsHh.jpg

5niCAMe.jpg

PQDHpUm.jpg

9EEQPfs.jpg

And well spent it was. I started the hobby 40 years ago as a teenager and I have never tired of the fascination in materials and applying them in a way that is pleasing to my eye as well as the eye of the fish.

Charlie

lahHsHh.jpg

This is why i will hold out for a real J-vice base...Stupid $96 shipping.AAARRRGGGG!!!!

DrVette,

The lighter colored wood is the piece that he sent with the vise. The darker wood is the same, African Rosewood, but sourced at local supplier here in town. I sent him a sketch of my bench and the "block" I intended to make. So he drilled it for the adapter and locking lever and I modified to fit my block and attached it. My kit fits inside the wooden box, the vise block straddles an oak center divider that keeps the drawers closed when the drop front is closed up. My dad and I built the box 40+ years ago (I was a teenager). The original vise block was ash and not as robust as the Renzetti traveler is much smaller and lighter.

The postage charge is stiff but it is what it is. There is a gent that brings several in a year in Oregon, Wasatch Fly Tying Tools, and offers a base as well. That might be an option to investigate.

Charlie

I emailed Jay regarding the 3/8" stem issue... and the larger metric alternative...

He constantly chases down ideas and turns them into kinetic art...

here's what he had to say...

"Hi Pete, I turn down the bottom 2" to 3/8" so that it will fit US Clamps. I also make a 3/8" adaptor to take 3/8" fittings.

Have attached a few pics for you. One of the extension arms has a 3/8" stem."

1214%20Charles%20Andrew%201_zpszyd00pgp.

1214%20Charles%20Andrew%204_zpsjqfvemx1.

1214%20Charles%20Andrew%205_zpsnyxp5slu.

1214%20Charles%20Andrew%203_zpsrblx5y5k.

1214%20Charles%20Andrew%202_zpshx8zefac.

If you're looking for something "special" or off the beaten path, Jay might oblige... wink.png

I love my Jvice!

Jay is working on a small device to assist in tying extended body flies for me.

Just a simple add-on to maintain tension to the rear at about 30 degrees so it will hold your tailing material hands free.

He really is responsive and builds great tools.

Besides his vise, I can't use any other hair stacker for most of my flies than with his tapered end brass stacker.