Fly Tying

Hello List: Looking to make some March Brown floating nymphs. The recipe I'm looking

at calls for some brown fox in the dub mixture. Can anyone direct me to a source of

brown fox, as I only need a small amount. Thank you in advance.....Jim

Don't get too locked in on specific materials. There are many different materials both natural and synthetic that would be good substitutes on almost any pattern.

Get familiar with the qualities and attributes of the materials you use and you will know which materials will be a good substitute for another.

Get familiar with the qualities and attributes of the materials you use and you will know which materials will be a good substitute for another.

That's good advice, Shoe, IF you have the materials to "get familiar with" in the first place.

For a tier that DOESN'T have the material ... what would be good substitutes for fox fur?

That's good advice, Shoe, IF you have the materials to "get familiar with" in the first place.

For a tier that DOESN'T have the material ... what would be good substitutes for fox fur?

That's me, I don't have any substitutes ....

Fox is very long, and a bit coarser than rabbit. If I had to do a substitute, though, I would use rabbit, just choose the longest fur in the patch. If you are using it for dubbing, though, it doesn't make much difference, just get the color right. Red fox has redish-brown guard hair, with soft grey underfur. Grey fox can have reddish patches that are red all the way to the skin. Of course red fox belly fur is the correct color for a Hendrickson, with a reddish tan/cream color.

Fox tail, on the other hand, is a lot different. Raccoon tail is similar in texture but not in color. Coyote tail would be similar, but other than that, I can't think of an adequate substitute.

I've used coyote as a substitute for fox hair. Color is a bit off, but texture and structures are similar.