Fly Tying
breambuster

Ultimate Challenge - Your Greatest Nightmare Fly Swap

I'm fine with the extra and an extension, wondering if maybe we could do an end of July due date just an extra month instead of 1.5 just seems to me like things end up not working as well when the due date is to long. I'm ok with whatever you decide.

OK, Guys, August 15 sounds like a LONG time to me, too. So here's what let's do. Let's leave the due date at August 15, for now, but let's ask EVERY SWAPPER in this swap to TRY, REALLY HARD, to have your flies to me by July 31. That's over 2 months from now, and if guys would tie 2 flies a week, they could get them done long before the end of July. I don't think 2 flies a day is asking too much. Just don't wait until the very last minute and then start tying. I know that summer is for vacation, and fishing and things like that. But let's ALL try to get them to me by the end of July.

I've been working on mine and I still have a learning curve to get through. I'm tying a Mr Rapidan on a standard #14 dry fly hook. I'm getting the hang of the calf hair wings, and the Flyrite dubbing is a dream to work with. Awesome stuff. The hackle is where I run into some problems. I'm using saddle hackles out of Whiting 100's packs. One grizzly and one brown. I take 2 turns of each behind the wing and 2 turns of each in front of the wing, and even though the wing is positioned properly on the hook shank, I'm crowding the eye before I get through. I end up tying off with a half hitch tool. But if I move the wing any further back, it's going to be in the middle of the hook shank. So far I've made about 7 attempts. And now I have one fishable fly, but I made a mistake with the materials, so it's not going into the swap. I have MAYBE 2 that will pass for the swap, 3 that are doubtfuls, and one that I cut off the hook and started over.

Having said that, I know that tying 2 flies in a week that are worthy of the swap may be the best we can expect. But if we will work at it steadily, the end of July sounds very reasonable to me at this point.

Thanks, guys.

BB

BB,

All done my flies probably mail them when I get back from Indy 500. Your address hasn't changed since last swap, has it?

Thanks,

GP

Sounds like this is going to be a great swap. I was getting a bit nervous about the first deadline, only because I am still waiting for supplies to arrive. I should have the flies to you well before the end of July.

I am ordering a bunch of hooks tomorrow. I will tack on a box of TMC 5262s. What size do you guys want your nymphs? I am looking at 12 or 14? If there is a better standard size for this pattern, I can do that too. My first thought was 10 or 12 to make tying them a bit easier, but I want to stay within the range of the other flies in this swap. What size would be most appropriate? I'm kind of leaning towards a 12 or 14 because that seems about right for a trout nymph. Since I almost always fish dry flies, traditional wets or an occasional streamer for trout, I am not really versed on nymphs and their sizes. It seems like they should be a size or two larger than my wet or dry flies . Most of my ties are usually 14 or 16 for wet flies. If 12 or 14 aren't right for this fly, (The pattern sheet says 2-20!) please let me know by early Morning. Otherwise, the order will go in for 12s.

Thanks,

Dave

Guys, I have made a big mistake. I'm usually more efficient than this. Sometime when I was dealing with my daughter's wreck, I welcomed Hazathor to the swap. He should have been added as swapper #11, right after Stilis, but I failed to get his name on the roster. I guess I was trying to handle too many things all at once, and dropped the ball. Therefore, we really need to have 15 swappers in the swap. I hope my mistake doesn't cause a hardship for anyone. I think there may be a set or two already in the mail. I'll do what I can to work that out.

Most of all, I just want to apologize to everyone for my mistake.

Take care

Randall

BB ... to atone for your sins, you must say fifteen "Hail Lefty's" and 8 "Our Dahlberg's".

You will be absolved at that time!