Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Prep Game bird skin adive.

GeneL, fur beetles and carpet bugs, even moth larvae eat the skin /base of hair or feather even after tanning and taxidermy, maybe many years later, it's in my mind that the borax may help prevent that. Arsenic used to be used in tanning for this reason, but I believe that is banned now.

Parasites will either die as soon as the body cools or move quickly to another host, so they are not much concern, as you say.

I hesitated to post the link because I'm new here, may be rules I haven't learned yet.

No problem, tjm. We only jump on first time posters who try to post a link. We don't know them, we can't trust a link.

After an introduction and a couple of posts, so we know you're "genuine" ... link away.

I have personally dried a few pheasant skins using Borax and have had no issues with them whatsoever. I don't mind that the skins are stiff. Some feathers are harder to pluck than others, but having them all attached to the skin as opposed to loosely packaged in bags provides a less messy way to store and use them. Also, as tjm stated, having insect repelling characteristics makes this method much more appealing.