Fly Tying
CSwinton

Rotary functionality - Regal Revolution vs Renzetti

The fit and finish of a 4000 is much nicer. Brass is used instead of aluminum, and the moving parts are precision machined to closer tolerances for a tighter fit and smoother operation. You feel the superior quality in everything you do on the vise.

I know you were just kidding about the Master, but, really, if you can afford it, you wouldn't regret going for the best. The Master stands head and shoulders above the 4000, just as the 4000 makes the Traveler look like kids toy.

The fit and finish of a 4000 is much nicer. Brass is used instead of aluminum, and the moving parts are precision machined to closer tolerances for a tighter fit and smoother operation. You feel the superior quality in everything you do on the vise.

I know you were just kidding about the Master, but, really, if you can afford it, you wouldn't regret going for the best. The Master stands head and shoulders above the 4000, just as the 4000 makes the Traveler look like kids toy.

I was sort of kidding... but I'd be curious to hear what makes the Master stand "head and shoulders above the 4000". ;) Since my last reply I have had a chance to at least play with the 2000 and 4000 in a shop and you're right, the 4000 does feel superior. The 2000 felt like a slightly upgraded Traveler with an articulating arm.

I wouldn't say "heads and shouders" but the knuckle at the terminal end makes alignment with the axis of the hook simple and convenient if that's essential (which I doubt it is.) I have a Master vise although I'm not a Master tier, bought it 15 years ago or so and it's a superior vise in all respects. It's true, and holds hooks without a hint of slippage. It's also got a parachute ability that's unique; I have the devise, but don't use it.

I don't employ the rotary function as much as I should. I love my HMH vises as well. It's difficult for me to take advantage of the rotary function, but if I force myself it's very convenient. Wrapping hackle on dry flies is especially easy and precise.