Fly Tying
Flat Rock native

TGIF-Need a great Bloody Mary recipe

FRn and Betty White.

Following doctor's orders and only having one glass of alcoholic drink a day.

attachicon.gifbetty-white-wine.jpg

You are too funny somedays. My strategy is two in inbibes every other day, if one must craft the BUZZ.

Kidding, zero was once my standard but it truly helps a dead appetite, a little bit. This woman grew up in Wyoming, she knows the propensities of her patients. She has total credibility with me because she fly fishes. A great caster, she likes Steel's custom rods and her hubby is a game warden, just a great guy, too. Took her fishing with us once, when hubby wanted to play golf. How can I not follow orders?

The first recipe is a great base. I go heavy on the Worcestershire. Hot sauce of your choosing to taste. But my favorite Bloody Mary garnish is horseradish pickles, I make them using a recipe pretty much identical to this one.

I dig the horseradish, Haz, our Lake DeSmet marina once served a fine blend with hr kicker, but must watch the levels to avoid bad sinus blowout. Those pickles sound awesome. We were thinking of pickling some veggies ourselves at some point because the garnish beans, okra, carrots, whatevers... cost $8-12 for little jars, make fine olives look cheap by comparison. Thanks!

If you want to lighten things up a little (sometimes the tomato juice/V8/Bloody mix is pretty thick), try Clamato juice. Officially, I think they call it a Bloody Caesar when you swap in the Clamato juice. I also like to add in some pickle juice along with the other items mentioned - Worcestershire, tabasco, celery salt and lime juice.

Did the Clamato folks once have a spicy peppery drink in their product line, too? Maybe Maxi- Tom or similar name? Liked both just fine so they go on list.

Visitor got me Bloody Mary at dining spot the other night. It was quite tasty. When I got recipe, Zing Zang was base and other ingredients gave it a Hot but moderated level. Gave a nice pop without a bad burn, strong W-shire but not too brown, some lemon/lime bite. So Kudu is on track with his suggestion.

Have Old Bay with few mentions here so need to make up blend of DIY granules or order some McCormicks. Heck, think I will do both, this is turning out to be a flavorful quest.

Heard some good fish stories but best bets now are not real local, more like 100 miles North or South of home. Browns ending fall runs on Midges, streamers, or eggs. Elk hunting winding down, too. So.., post more ideas if ya got em. Thanks to all.

Even if I drank mixed drinks ... I couldn't do a Bloody Mary. From the recipes I am seeing, it has all the things I don't like.

I don't like tomato juice.

If it burns my tongue with hot spices, it's not "tasty".

I don't care for steak sauces.

Give me a straight shot of some schnapps (any flavor will do) and I'll go to bed happy.

A simple one but tasty - Vodka, V8, Worchester, splash of hot sauce, oregano and lemon pepper. One cool thing to do with Old Bay is instead of adding into the drink, lace it around the rim of the glass like they do with salt on a margarita. Add a stalk of celery or, even better, a strip of bacon.

Even if I drank mixed drinks ... I couldn't do a Bloody Mary. From the recipes I am seeing, it has all the things I don't like.

I don't like tomato juice.

If it burns my tongue with hot spices, it's not "tasty".

I don't care for steak sauces.

Give me a straight shot of some schnapps (any flavor will do) and I'll go to bed happy.

Ah yes, one of the favorites of Nordic skiiers everywhere. Should take it up again, X-Country skinny ski workouts -not another drinking vise, but cuts into winter tying too much ;)

A simple one but tasty - Vodka, V8, Worchester, splash of hot sauce, oregano and lemon pepper. One cool thing to do with Old Bay is instead of adding into the drink, lace it around the rim of the glass like they do with salt on a margarita. Add a stalk of celery or, even better, a strip of bacon.

Yep, good idea... bet you have a good fish story also. Post your favorites! -and thank you

Try absolute peppar vodka in the mix. Google Robbies of Islamorada and look at their bloody Marys. They have shrimp, slim Jims, and bacon as garnishes. I like olives with mine. Early weekend mornings, before the kids get up, bloody Marys in the hot tub overlooking the farm and the cattle is nice.

Try absolute peppar vodka in the mix. Google Robbies of Islamorada and look at their bloody Marys. They have shrimp, slim Jims, and bacon as garnishes. I like olives with mine. Early weekend mornings, before the kids get up, bloody Marys in the hot tub overlooking the farm and the cattle is nice.

I could enjoy a little Islamorada time myself- even if only in my brain.

I could switch lives with you too, al least for a weekend morning or two, but always happy with mine, despite its' challenges some days.

Understand challenges. Shattered my spine in 2011 surgeons didnt know if I would walk again. Thanks to a wonderful neurosurgeon I am. Ive had two surgeries on my spine since then. I hate my sciatic nerve. I do like bloody Marys though! Id like to come out your way some day for some fishing. I had a blast drift boat fishing outside of Victor, ID. Id like to do a drift, camp trip in Wyoming some day. Also, I would like to harvest one of your tasty antelope and maybe a black bear some day. Not to get too far of topic, Im sure I could squeeze a Bloody Mary in there somehow!

Understand challenges. Shattered my spine in 2011 surgeons didnt know if I would walk again. Thanks to a wonderful neurosurgeon I am. Ive had two surgeries on my spine since then. I hate my sciatic nerve. I do like bloody Marys though! Id like to come out your way some day for some fishing. I had a blast drift boat fishing outside of Victor, ID. Id like to do a drift, camp trip in Wyoming some day. Also, I would like to harvest one of your tasty antelope and maybe a black bear some day. Not to get too far of topic, Im sure I could squeeze a Bloody Mary in there somehow!

I remembered your injuries and continue hoping that more improvement will happen for you!

Invite you and everyone to go off topic if moved in that direction. I view this as thread about, not only, drinking bloody Mary's or alcohol free equivalents, but discussion such as that which ensues at a gathering of friends over favorite beverages. And besides I have already gained about 25 recommendations that are on topic.

We have wonderful hunting locally for almost all game, better than average local fishing, and 3?world class tailwaters within 125 miles. Just call with lead time and I can set up a plan. Air service to Casper and Bilings is good, ok to Sheridan. Drift and camp trips and Cast and Blast are on the menus. Let's make it happen. Ken

PS same invitation to anyone interested in Wyoming oppotunities in our Great Outdoors!

Dried three recipes last night, thanks to wife sampling wine. All reports very positive details later, doing the horseradish pickles and now hopefully ready by New Years but within a week or so there after for sure.

I have a bunch of pickles that are ready for the holidays. Bloody's are on the menu for Christmas brunch and for bowl games on New Years morning. Wishing you all a safe and relaxing Christmas!