Fly Tying
robow7

Nymphs tied on jig hooks?

Do many of you ever tie your heavily weighted nymphs on the small 60 degree jig style hooks with slotted tungsten beads so as to possibly obtain a more upright or horizontal presentation and do you feel it ensures better hook ups ? Thanks for your input.

Yes, and no. Just something else to play with. Czech nymphing types swear by the technique but I have not really noticed any difference in hook ups or loss rate versus a conventional tie, and considering the extra cost, not sure it is really worth the effort. Still, never hurts to try something new, and of course YMMV.

I'm not sure it's an extra cost, since many fly hooks are just as costly. You have to look around & find a hook in a price you're comfortable with for both price & quality. I've not become a fan of the barbless jig hooks, but I mash the barbs anyway. I've used some that Allen sells & some Gamakatsu, and both have been good hooks although Allen's are priced better. IMO, the best thing about jig hooks is they tend to snag less on the bottom. Much of snagging the bottom however is in technique if you allow too much slack line, but otherwise have seen no difference in using them compared to regular nymph/wet fly type fly hooks.

The problem has always been, finding jig hooks in smaller sizes. Allen shows down to a size 18. I have bought the size 12, and am pretty happy with them. As mentioned above, using isn't much different than any other hook, but they do ride hook point up. That's not much of a problem in the streams where I usually fish, though.

Hi robow7,

We happen to get a good deal on bare (no added weight) jig hooks a few years ago and bought several thousand of them. Since then we've tied a bunch of heavily weighted flies (mostly nymphs) by putting a bead on a section of mono with a melted ball on one end (to keep the bead from falling off) and tying the bead/mono combination as an extension on the front of the hook. The resulting flies are snag resistant and are easy to fish deep. Take care & ...

Al,

You can also attach the bead using a pin-sewing kind with a small head on it- the head keeps the bead on. You then use a pair of cutter pliers to trim the wire to fit the hook.

Al, were these 90 degree bend hooks or 60 degree bend hooks and how far below the hook did the mono extend with the bead? Yea, a photo would be great.