Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
strutnstuff

Homemade wading staff

Never have used a staff wading and am surprised that ski poles are used, they seem like too too short to be of much help? I do use a walking staff that is about 62" tall and can't see how a shorter one could be useful.

Do you guys carry these all the time or only on occasion? How often do you rely on them and for what?

"Older" aluminum ski poles were longer.. shorter poles became fashionable more recently (like, the 1980s?). I have a paracord loop on mine with a small carabiner, I clip it to my waders or pants (in summer), and just let it hang when fishing. I filled it with expanding foam so it floats. Just a heads up, if the cord is too long it can tangle around your legs a bit. My staff is 44" long, and I'm 5'8". I always use it when fishing bigger rivers wearing waders, when a fall could mean sliding into a deep hole and real trouble. I often take it along on smaller streams in spring, it can help crossing certain places, or probing unfamiliar places.

I'm too clumsy to get myself into those kind of places, I rely on clear water and caution.

If cutting a staff, I like sassafras it dries very light for it's strength.

I'm too clumsy to get myself into those kind of places, I rely on clear water and caution.

If cutting a staff, I like sassafras it dries very light for it's strength.

And smells great!

I have made many wading staffs ....use a cane rubber tip on the end.

The brass end of a high-base 12-gauge shotgun shell makes a nice end cap for a walking stick also.