Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bonsai Garden 2018

Went to a bonsai show on Saturday by the local club. Always a good show, lots of nice trees and good to meet a few guys from the bonsai club forum I am a part of.

zRkkzr.jpg

PTZFrl.jpg

riKuvC.jpg

SQkIro.jpg

hFvsuE.jpg

Also picked up this nice little Hillier Elm tree from one of the vendors at the show as a new tree for my collection. It was planted upright when I bought it but I did a bit of work to it and now have it planted more into a slant style and have some of the branches wired down now.

BF9vO6.jpg

The one growing out of a split and curled log is stunning. While I'm not a bonsai aficionado I've never seen one line that. That's a whole different level there.

I'm envious. Both of the beautiful trees you got to see at the show, and the forest you're parenting. That Elm is going to be a pretty addition.

I have been so busy with rods lately working 10-12hrs per day I had to take a break before I jumped out in front of a bus! So last week I picked up a couple nursery yew bushes that were marked down to only $17 at the local nursery. I liked them because they had nice sized 2" dia trunks on them and I have been wanting to try my hand at carving and doing Shari/Jin work. Which in bonsai is the method of making a tree look like it has been struck by lightning by peeling bark, carving, sanding and then coating with lime sulfur. (Which STINKS btw the way lol).

Very pleased with the way this came out and quite happy with the first ever attempt at doing deadwood.

pCLqvM.jpg

GJNFHI.jpg

lw2rHz.jpg

sDPxQh.jpg

The one growing out of a split and curled log is stunning. While I'm not a bonsai aficionado I've never seen one line that. That's a whole different level there.

Yep my favourite too. Really cool.

That's good Steve. Does the lime prevent fungus infection of the broken tree until its grown some?