Fly Tying
timinator

Vise upgrade

Hi I've got into tying this winter and I am starting to see the limitations of my beginner vise. I would like to upgrade to something better. Can anyone recommend a good vise for a beginning tyer without braking the bank(around $100.00)?

Thanks

Tim

I'd recommend the Dyna King Kingfisher, around a $100, well built. I've had mine for 8 months and I love it.

Fatman

QUOTE (Fatman @ Mar 14 2005, 10:21 AM)
I'd recommend the Dyna King Kingfisher, around a $100, well built. I've had mine for 8 months and I love it.

Fatman

I 2nd kingfisher.

Danvise has my vote. I love it. If you're in Canada or around London, Ontario. Jay's Fly Shop carries them. Check his hours!!! and call first. He does mail order as well.

Al Beatty has them through mail order in the states. BTSFlyfishing.com

Al also has a nice video that shows you how to tie flies using a rotery vise. (the Danvise is the featured vise)

If you want to take a chance to save a few bucks....you can pick them up on eBay from time to time as well. The standard retail price is $80 USD.

I picked up my danvise through Hilltop Flytying supplies an ebay store. Currently they sell them for 65.50. Purchase quite a bit of stuff through them and never had a problem. I just saw a post here that smalliehunter had two for sale for 69.95 http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...8596&hl=danvise

I use a Danvise also and am happy as heck for the price. Holds hooks like a rock and is a true rotary vise. Might of looked into something nicer if I was tying a gazillion flies a year but I just tie for myself and nephews. If I was to go nicer I would look at the Peak vise.

I picked up my Danvise on eBay...from Hilltop as well. I live in Ontario, but I also have a US address I use to avoid the hastles and extra expence at the border. For me it works out fine and I do make a savings BUT if you have to have it shipped over the border, expect to pay Duty, Taxes, and Brokarage fees on top of that price you payed for it on eBay. In the end if the Canadians can find a supplier for Danvise in Canada...you might just be better off. It also can take weeks to clear the border. Just something to think about.