Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Fixed (kind of) cheap llbean reel with an o ring

Llbean (sad that they don’t sell repair parts ) does not offer rebuild kits for base reels.   A cheap oneway bearing got ruined by previous owner who never cleaned it after saltwater fishing.   Its a cheap quest 3 pos reel but it will be ok for bass fishing.    Pulled it all apart and only solution was a 3c o ring.   Works in a pinch.

I have a one-way bearing from an Echo Base that broke, I saved it and if you want it and it will fit, I can send it to you for that reel.

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

I have a one-way bearing from an Echo Base that broke, I saved it and if you want it and it will fit, I can send it to you for that reel.

Aint' you nice?

I dont think it will fit.   This is the cheap pos that llbean was passing off as a fly reel.  Looks workable but when its gone there is very little that can be done with it.    Sad,  llbean used to put out some good gear,  granted it was always another companies just rebranded.    Why bother with a bearing at all?  

5C60948F-0FEF-48E3-A088-2377C4A53EC8.jpeg

B2B71255-64A5-4242-8427-8F6D0DE06D4D.jpeg

This is the unit that seized.  The bearings were all seized to the outer cup,   The previous owner did no real attempt at maintaining this reel.    

30533FF7-38F7-4483-915F-F30E1CE55896.jpeg

30 minutes ago, petelangevin said:

Why bother with a bearing at all?  

I'm not sure if you're serious with this question, but if so ...

It's not a bearing, actually.  It's a clutch.  It allows the spool to freewheel when taking line in, but to "lock" onto the drag when dispensing line out.  Without that clutch, the spool would freewheel every time you pulled line off ... 'bird nesting' the fly line on the spool.

Hi mike,  that makes sense,  without the o ring i added it would spin and birdsnest.  But now i can control how fast it spins.   So its good enough for a back up or a panfish reel.   I can palm the reel as well to slow it if need be.   

You'll need the outside diameter of the shaft, the inside diameter of the bore (the cage needs to fit between those two) and the thickness of the plastic cage.  With those dimensions you can find a matching Sprague Clutch ... or be sure Samsonboi's will fit.

It may take a bit,  i dont have a micrometer,   Maybe after covid lockdown i can get to harbor freight to get one.   I should have one anyway

14 minutes ago, petelangevin said:

It may take a bit,  i dont have a micrometer,   Maybe after covid lockdown i can get to harbor freight to get one.   I should have one anyway

pete, I have a spare I am not using.  If you message me, I will send it.  No charge, pay it forward, if you insist on paying... and, I may need some advice on re-working a reel with similar trouble and you could be the go-to, when I get to that project👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

I am good.  Its a reel i was configuring for a bass rod.  I am really all set but ty for your generous offer.   I was really just trying to get the reel usable.