Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Foam diver

Saw this so trying my version.  Craftfur, 1/4” foam.    Might not have the foam back far enough and too much foam???   Gotta see if it’ll work...

DBAF4615-2CEE-4325-9878-E6F88A195761.jpeg

B95D2656-5946-4A36-9417-E89727028078.jpeg

Looks good, so far.  Floater/divers are deadly, if there's any hungry predators around.  That looks like it'll fit the bill.

Look like a good one.  I will have to try some myself.

I tried foam lips that didn’t work.  Hook thru body has bad center of gravity.   Maybe a shank with hook dangling down.  Can cast these lil crank baits with 5 wt but treble hooks are mean.  I broke one off; trying to find single hooks with big enough eye to swallow the split rings.   Yeh yeh not a fly.....Philly has made some workable diver cranks.   Can’t find the post.  

D5334AB0-6A2E-4D13-8BD9-FB4038C03DBA.jpeg

I've never been to one of those places that specify "fly fishing" only.  I've heard that the definition of a "fly" is part of the rules.

BUT ... in my opinion, if you can cast it with a fly rod, you're fly fishing. 

ALL flies are lures, but not all lures are flies.

I love those little floater/diver lures.

I tried them out.   They dive and make lil pop when jerked.  Double hand retrieve with rod under arm keeps them down 4-6”.   They don’t wobble that would be nice.  They dive better with foam almost 90 deg rather than laid down.   Gonna try with 1/8”  foam and sparse dress.   

I tie some that look a lot like a flat fish one piece of trimmed tail 1 piece of foam tied in at the back that goes over a dubbed shank and poke the eye through the foam and trim to make a small lip, swims pretty much just like a flat fish lure would if it had a marabou tail.

Here's mine this may have been the first one I tied, if that's the case it swam great but I found you have to use a wide gap hook or the lip seems to block strikes, I got a ton of hits on the first one but no hookups, went to a wide gap stinger hook and it solved the problem.

20200505_214107.jpg

20200505_214044.jpg