Fly Tying
imaxfli78

Streamers.....

Whats going to make a conventional streamer ride right-side up(with the hook point down). I know when I tie a clouser with the barbell eye on the top of the hook, it will ride with the hook point up guaranteed.

Apart from the weight distribution of materials, my experience has been related to hook type (eye configuration), knot connection and leader characteristics.  Here are three tips from my perspective.

1. Down eyed hooks are more prone to roll than a straight eyed hook.
  2. A clinch knot provides a firm connection between leader and fly,  Any twisting of the leader will immediately transfer to the fly.  A non-slip loop knot used with a straight-eyed hook will mitigate to some extent the twisting influence of the leader as the fly is free to orient itself independent of the leader
  3. Long (7.5-9’), light leaders (ie 3X range) will inevitably twist a bit and that twist will influence fly orientation.  Short (4-6’), stiff leaders (2X-0X) resist twisting, thus not providing that influence to the fly.

As a side note, there is the Daiichi 1850 Flat Eye streamer hook which combined with a non-slip loop know pretty much guarantees the fly will orient correctly if the weight in the fly is balanced. 

Hmmmmmm...so the "twisting" will make a streamer right hook point up? Why not make it ride hook point down? I have these new furled leaders with the tiny swivel on the end to attach a tippet, I think they are awesome!

The hook gap area adds weight to the streamer to help it keel.

I like heavy wire wide gap hooks because they add more weight. I also feel they provide a better hook up and don't bend as easily when snagged. 

Always use a non slip loop knot as mikemac1 suggested.

When tying material to the underside of the hook keep it sparse. This will reduce buoyancy and most importantly not interfere with the hook point.

DSC04731.thumb.JPG.f2afd386319fd95e81e6da51ecbe88d2.JPG

Chart Baitfish.jpg