Fly Tying
Olalf

Looking for pics from Geert

Gents, as a guy who  dresses flies only as art, I miss seeing the work of that Belgian guy, Geert Werbrouk. Back before my forum subscription got somehow run thru a dubbing grinder I really enjoyed his work. Do any of you have any idea where or even _if_ he might be posting his fly creations?

Thanks, alf in Iowa

Geert and I keep in regular touch ever since the old Classic Fly Tying site went down. If you wish to continue to see his work, he has a Facebook page. I DO NOT have an account on that site and I never will...so I cannot give specifics on accessing his page.

Good luck

George

20 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Geert and I keep in regular touch ever since the old Classic Fly Tying site went down. If you wish to continue to see his work, he has a Facebook page. I DO NOT have an account on that site and I never will...so I cannot give specifics on accessing his page.

Good luck

George

George, thank you. I'll go looking for him on f/b and hopefully he's as active posting his art there as he used to be on (the old) here.

And since I'm here, here's a pic of my current project. I'm trying to learn what I can or can not make look good on #14 double Partridge Patriots. It's a version of throwing everything to see what sticks. The next group will use the idea of the red one (rt. col., 2nd from top) but I will attempt making the wings shorter.

Now, if I can ever manage to make 7/16"long  bronze mallard Spey wings . . . 

Thanks again for the reply,

Alf in Iowa

147FD5F3-46C1-4651-936C-8C1A716133B5.jpeg

Edited by Olalf
change "and" to "or".

Accessing that fine old site has unfortunately been next to, if not totally impossible. So much good information gone due to an incredibly inept, uncaring administrator. Lots of the former participants are now either on Facebook, some are here, many on Fly Tying World and a few have started their own small internet groups.

Loss of the other site is a sad state of affairs...but hey I enjoy the happenings here and FTW. Good folks and plenty of useful/fun communications.

28 minutes ago, flytire said:

the wayback machine found the following link

Classic Fly Tying -> Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying (archive.org)

YOU will have to do any searching as i cannot do it for you

whether or not the post links work or not i dont know

That does work in bringing up the old forum and ending sometime last year. It does not show the photos and requires the old "membership" to see the files/piccys. In my case as I mentioned in my posting, my membership was one of those that got made into hair-off-the-floor dubbing and there is no password that can cure that. Accordingly, I'm able to read the text of the postings and threads but not see the pics.

As interesting as you guys are to read, and I do read indeed and I am enjoying and learning from the current forum pics, I am disappointed that apparently Geert is not posting to the current forum.

Flytire, thanks for responding,

Alf in Iowa

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

Alf - Any luck finding Geert? - George

Well it appears I've found him but as yet he hasn't found me. I found his page on F/B and sent him a message but it doesn't seem that he has seen it so far. I'm not a F/B "befriender" and anyway, he has 4 digits worth of friends: I'd be just one more to get lost in the real world. Thanks for asking.

I think it's too bad he didn't transition over to here. The guy's an artist and he has the gift of being able to write up his creations. Not every talented tyer has that writing talent.

Geert was just coming back when the site went down, I also miss his work. I don't do f/b or any other social media but maybe if he drops you a line you can mention this site. I think he would be a very welcomed addition and he has a lot to show people. 

@Olalf You will find Geert alive and well on “The classic wet fly and streamer page” on facebook. It’s an open group so you

should have no problem locating him quickly.

One thing I do know. He is a "member" on the Fly Tying World web site but does not participate. He made a conscious choice after some of the unpleasantry on the old Classic Fly Tying site to back away from the internet with the exception of some things on Facebook.

Can't say I blame him on a certain level, but like many, I miss his work online. Each Christmas I get a card from him and Nathalie and there is always one of his flies enclosed. Needless to say that is a special treat.

11 hours ago, SalarMan said:

One thing I do know. He is a "member" on the Fly Tying World web site but does not participate. He made a conscious choice after some of the unpleasantry on the old Classic Fly Tying site to back away from the internet with the exception of some things on Facebook.

Can't say I blame him on a certain level, but like many, I miss his work online. Each Christmas I get a card from him and Nathalie and there is always one of his flies enclosed. Needless to say that is a special treat.

Hmm, "unpleasantry". Thankfully that must have taken place while the forum membership department had me placed on wrong-password status. I love gossip so I'd be open to hearing about that. . . 

The old classic site had a lot of discussions with some members that often turned personal and rather ugly. A lot of egos &  rather disgusting at times, to the point that many left the site and a few where banned, followed  by a lot of dead time with little activity. It was just starting to return to a positive decent forum with increased activity then it went down for good. Geert took a lot of abuse as did others, including tiers that ventured into the artistic side vs. traditional or proper. Too bad, there was a wealth of information & some excellent mentors lost, and a lot of bad feelings established.   Just my $.02, I kept out of the posting for the most part but the information and mentoring was great at times.

10 hours ago, cphubert said:

The old classic site had a lot of discussions with some members that often turned personal and rather ugly. A lot of egos &  rather disgusting at times, to the point that many left the site and few where banned, followed  by a lot of dead time with little activity. It was just starting to return to a positive decent forum with increased activity then it went down for good. Geert took a lot of abuse as did others, including tiers that ventured into the artistic side vs. traditional or proper. Too bad, there was a wealth of information & some excellent mentors lost, and a lot of bad feelings established.   Just my $.02, I kept out of the posting for the most part but the information and mentoring was great at times.

Hmm, I had a hunch. Thanks.

12 hours ago, cphubert said:

The old classic site had a lot of discussions with some members that often turned personal and rather ugly. A lot of egos &  rather disgusting at times, to the point that many left the site and a few where banned, followed  by a lot of dead time with little activity. It was just starting to return to a positive decent forum with increased activity then it went down for good. Geert took a lot of abuse as did others, including tiers that ventured into the artistic side vs. traditional or proper. Too bad, there was a wealth of information & some excellent mentors lost, and a lot of bad feelings established.   Just my $.02, I kept out of the posting for the most part but the information and mentoring was great at times.

I went full circle with the old site. When I finally worked up the nerve to post I was stunned at the commentary. But I quickly realized that what came across as harsh was actually honest critique...not always diplomatic but brutally honest. I learned there was no malice nor intent to embarrass and belittle my efforts, but some thinner skinned folks may have not been able to deal with that sort of thing. Some 37 years in the construction business made for a thick skin on my part.😁

That being said, cphubert is spot on with what went wrong there...especially as it applies to Geert. He is a kind, generous and just a delightful man who deserved nothing but good will and great praise. We maintain regular contact and I feel almost like a distant member of the family...but that's just the way Geert and Nathalie are.

Finally a computer geek friend of mine explained to me one of the major reasons the site went down for good was the whole thing was in need of a major technological upgrade and despite the fact he offered to do it for free, the owner just couldn't be bothered. Now that wealth of info and great tyers are gone. Sad state of affairs over some techie stuff and a few bruised egos.