Fly Tying

i'm curious to know what you guys think of this subject and what styles you use, i have two danvises both with big foot base mounts and i don't think i could tie the patterns i tie with a stationary clamped base. i've been paying attention to my movements of my vises across my table and had not noticed before just how much i move these things a round . a better angle or just pushing it aside to work on a material before application to the fly seems to be the norm . do you guys continually move your chairs around and re- ajust the the vice for a better angle? do you work "around" the vice when working on materials before application? Bud

Hi Bud,I got a c clamp Regal that has one of those adapters that lets you twist the head just about any way you want and its set up offset in the corner of where 2 desks converge plenty of room to make a mess and when I have to work on materials I just twist a bit in my swivel chair and I can do just about anything I want. Its in a dedicated area with all the comforts so I can get hardcore when I need to. Hugh

tongue.gif I guess I'm not the only one who moves my vice around alot too. I've got a regal with the heavy bronze base but I find myself moving the vice rather than me.

Every once and a while I still pull out my thompson model "A" c-clamp for nostalgia sake.

A.A.

Bud, I was thinking the same thing. I have been using two vises. One is built into my desk an old thompson. It holds a hook and thats about it. You either have to get up from the chair or turn the hook upside down ect.. The other is a cheap vise from wallmart. the shaft turns and the head moves up and down so you can get a good look from different angles This is because the parts are wore out and were not intended to move as I have forced them. Still have to move arround though. I just got a c clamp danvise and was going to build it into my desk but have been hesitant. Now you realy got me thinking and I'm sure I will come up with something.

It is amazing that we are working with small items and it requires alot of space. What is more amazing is how quick things can disapear.

I have a Renzetti that was a C clamp model when I bought it. I kept the C-clamp till about two years ago when I bought a bigfoot base, now I love the base. Not because I move my vise around alot during tying, I just never did like tying on the edge of the bench.

SD

daryn, i would reccomend you get a bigfoot base for that danvise. i promise you won't regret it. they're pretty much inexpensive also. one thing i do which would be unheard of with a permanant mounted vise. i grab this thing and walk all over the house with it with the fly in the vise. i have two danvises and most times when i'm thru with a fly i just pick it up and move it to another counter top nearby, slide the other one in front of me and start another fly. thats why i asked the question. was wondering how some of the fellows using clamped models work around the vise. and like SD mentioned . i don't think i could tie on the edge of a table and still get the same job done when i can rest my elbows on a counter and have less movement and shakey hands and fingers especially doing intricate work with cheek and eye feather . i have noticed i pull it towards the edge to do some certain things though. Bud

The bigfoot base I'd say was one of the best things I have bought "tool wise" Bud. I picked mine up off ebay for around $20. The weight of it keeps the vise steady even when I'm tying a larger fly and pulling on it pretty good. Got'a love the BIGFOOT biggrin.gif

Right now I'm using a circa 1950-1960 vise a friend gave me when his dad passed away. What I like about this one is that it is all steel, no "white metal" so it is solid and reliable. I want a pedestal rotary soon. For the amount of putting on and removing this clamp vise, I feel that the pedestal type would be more convienient, and my clippings would fall on my tying bench, not on my lap or floor.

One of the things I dislike about my Nor-Vise is that it is bolted to the desk. Before I got it I used a pedestal HMH that could easily be pushed out of the way. Although the Nor-Vise doesn't take up that much space on the desk top, it always seem to get in the way, something that has to be worked around.

My Blue Mtn. vise is mounted on a Cabelas el cheapo pedestal base that I mortised into a nice walnut base that gives me a larger footprint for the heavy base and is more pleasing to the eye.

user posted image

My Norvise is mounted on a sandstone countertop remnant; works great. and looks fine.

I like my pedestaled vise for all around use simple because I can move it around on my bench. But sometimes, when I'm tying deer hair Bass flies, I'd like to use my C-clamped Regal vise. The clamped vise is more stable when I need to torque the thread when tying deer hair patterns.

Any one got a pic of the big foot base. I am thinking on putting the Danvise on a swing arm that will lock in place when needed.