Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge #4

Hi TKontio, nice flies for a beginner j_k.gif Truly amazing flies.

Your user ranking escalates with the number of posts you submit, it's a good thing, because we look forward to seeing more of your flies.

My Nymph Skin arrived today, several colors but no green, yet. I think these challenges are great because it pushes us to constantly try and improve. I've been working on another emerging dragonfly and hand scribing the wings was a pain.

I'm wondering what insect you guy's would like for next months challenge?

Graham

Anything is OK with me. Picked up some razor foam, thin sking and swiss straw the other day. Still want to get the japanese legs some porky pine quills and raffene. Been experimenting with different body stiles but end up crowding out the head.

Graham what size hooks are you using on the average when you wrap razor foam for a body?

Nice flies everybody!!!!

Duckydoty

Nice Fly Smokey. Did you make the mono eyes or are they pre-made? I've started using a pair of super fine tipped tweezers and hold the mono at the very tip, then melt the mono on each side. Often I'll use 6lb and slide a tiny seed bead on and leave about 1/2" sticking out, then melt it with a Bic lighter until the mono melts down over the bead. Then do the same thing on the other side. To tye on the tiny little sets of eyes I put the thread between the eyes and then put it on top of the hook. I’ve found that makes it easier than trying to hold eyes down, and then try to catch the thread, without dropping the eyes.

I like the flies you've been posting, sure wish my first stab at realistics looked that good, nice work Buddy.

Graham

Smokey

Looking good! I see your working on Ideas for the swap too.

I'm too embarassed to show the things I've been working on for the swap.

Maybe I'll get something good today

Duckydoty

It didn't turn out any better but I guess I'll have to send this as I promised. Improvements from the last version is that this can actually be fished with (though it will probably swim on it's back unsure.gif )

Tonight it's no tying for me (remember kids, no drinking and tying tongue.gif ) but maybe tomorrow. I'll just have to tie at least as good caddis as Aarne.

Rock on and keep those flies coming headbang.gif

post-49-1114269519.jpg

Hey people, just thought I would give you a better look at the fly without the silly flash on! Graham, I believe you got your nymph skin today let me know what you think. I think you'll pleasantly surprised. If you don't have it in green, use translusent and mark it with a permanent marker. If I can be of any help to anyone (especially on nymph skin) just shout!

Later, guys..................

Hey mayflyman, I still cant get over the fine detail on a size 20 hook. I wanted a closer look so I copied your pic and tweeked it in Photoshop, hope you don't mind, I brightened it up and the pic is below. Awesome tying!

Graham

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I noticed I didnt have the thumbnail like everyone else...i'll try to figure that out. In the mean time, here is my not so shabby, but pathetic rendition of my caddis(compared to ya'll)..sorry my picture is blurry as i cant get a perfect picture with this camera...anyone have suggestions?

I must say that there are some amazing tyers! I tied this on a size 16 tmc 2457 and for what its worth, i did surprisingly well, or so i think(other than the fact that my wings are pointed in the wrong direction)! sad.gif I used uni thread(tail), green tubing, dark dubbing, turkey biots and some dear hair...i have a lot of work to do!!

*edit* lol i just realized it looks more and more like a flying green knat! hehe

thanks~ wink.gif

Hey mayflyman, I still cant get over the fine detail on a size 20 hook. I wanted a closer look so I copied your pic and tweeked it in Photoshop, hope you don't mind, I brightened it up and the pic is below. Awesome tying!

Of course I don't mind Graham. Although any sort of photos of very small flies is hard enough to get right without a macro lens. I have to say. you done the pic more justice than what I did......cheers mate. Some great flies are still rolling in. I can't wait for the next challange as I'm waiting on my L.A.W. vise to arrive any day now.....................