Fly Tying
cornmuse

Rangeley style streamer for bass fishing

I'm still playing with the details of this. I tied this specifically to be used as an imitation of a juvenille carp for fishing LM and muskie on Ohio lake and rivers this spring. The wife is tasked with coming up with a name. Any feedback is appreciated - what would you change? Once I've settled on the final details I'll add this to the pattern database.

Joe C.

post-2-1112708264.jpg

Joe- Great looking fly!

If you WANT TO THINK ABOUT changing anything, how about adding some Peacock Herl to the lateral line of the hook/belly before you put on the bucktail throat and lessen it (herl) in the top. That way your overwing would be more prominent feathers with just a couple strands of herl riding the top.

Just an idea while I looked at it.

I agree with Dave, move the herl to mimic the lateral line. You can place it below the shank, no longer than the bend of the hook. You may want to consider a little more bucktail on the belly too, very sparse to give it a slightly larger profile.

Well, some fish species have dark green backs so that they can better camaflouge (sp?) themselves, so if a carp juvenille does have the green back then keep the herl there and maybe use something else for the lateral line.

The fly just like that looks great as well. cool.gif thumbsup.gif

Uhh, guys, carp don't have a strip on the "lateral line". The lateral line is a sensory organ that most all fish have, but juvenile carp are a various tones of gold/yellow as a single, "fishscale" coloration. They have no strip down the side. I don't understand the recommendation you are suggesting.

Herl down the sides was more in keeping with most Rangeley style ties. It isn't necessary or absolute (and I forgot Carp are solid color like that.)

Beautiful just the way it is... As far as naming it goes, well, I have flies that I've fished for 20 years and still haven't named yet. LOL.

Looks like a great baby Carp as well as Golden Shiner. Take that to a lake and I'd bet you'll drive the Largemouth nuts if there are any Golden Shiners to be found.

I got my streamers from the swap today and one of them gave me a great idea (I think) for a bass fly too. I'll post it when I get a chance to tie it up.

Looks great Joe!........Not to change the subject, but I went for my morning run today and the bass were bustin' schools of Shad(I'm pretty sure it was shad because there was a lot of silver flash) on the surface of the GMR near Triangle.........I think it's that time!

mike

I don't really have any suggestions on your fly I think it looks good, but I've never seen a juvenille carp. The only thing I'd suggest is try some of the ideas that have already been mention and any that you are playing around with then let the fish decide what is best. Good luck let us know how it turns out. How do you get the jungle cock to lay so flat. I've tried to use those for eyes on some big deceivers I tied for muskie but mine always twist when I tie them in. Do I need to smash the stem flat or what?

QUOTE (pennscreekrules @ Apr 6 2005, 09:31 PM)
How do you get the jungle cock to lay so flat. I've tried to use those for eyes on some big deceivers I tied for muskie but mine always twist when I tie them in. Do I need to smash the stem flat or what?

Whenever I tie this type of streamer I use a little Dave's Flexement on the back of the JC eye and glue it to the cheek feather. I also use a little dab on the two primary wing feathers at the base to connect them together as one assembly. I tie in the left, then right wing. Then the left and right cheek assembly. Sometimes you need to flatten the feather stems using the back of your scissors to get a perfect lay.

For those who've never seen a juvenille carp - take a look at a common goldfish. They are almost identical. The carp has two barbells on the chin the goldfish doesn't have - in smaller size specimens you'd need a magnifying lens to see it. Goldfish and carp commonly hybridize and many warm water rivers and ponds that have a population of carp also have a population of goldfish as well as hybrids. It's a more important baitfish around here than most people think, especially in the early part of the season.

On the fly I've tied there is a sparse white bucktail belly, but the white background from the scan doesn't allow it to show up. The colors are a bit darker in the image that the real fly which has more a golden orange hue - a little exaggerated when compared to the actual critter...

Joe C.

Okay, here we go. A Shiner/Dace/whatever for running water.

user posted image

(Now I've gotta put together some of yours Joe!)

I might be stepping on someones toes here but a thing i would try with this nice streamer is a body of sealfur dubbing ph34r.gif

Tight line,

Jakob