Fly Tying
Iroc_Jeff

Foam Hoppers

7 hours ago, Plainsman said:

Hauled in a bass and brim. on these two. I try to keep it simple and the fish don’t seem to mind. Wings are from buck tail since I can’t find any elk hair.  More wing ideas would be appreciated. These were on a 6 and an 8. Got a few good ideas from you guys for sure.  

03DECE43-53BF-4D74-AEE4-3F00A9A59F14.jpeg

29320C7A-5706-440A-8E01-A0016AB24198.jpeg

That top one is really cool. Makes me wish I only made 1 larger middle segment on mine and not 2. What did you make the eyes with? Is it epoxy or stick on ? 

Definitely good fish getters. Never used elk hair. My elk hair caddis are really deer hair caddis but the fish don't know the difference.

The eyes are black nail polish dropped on with toothpick. Got to find a better way cause it’s pretty tricky. I have screwed up a few times on the eyes. 

10 hours ago, Plainsman said:

The eyes are black nail polish dropped on with toothpick. Got to find a better way cause it’s pretty tricky. I have screwed up a few times on the eyes. 

You might try a technique used on some SW shrimp patterns.  Use a black permanent marker to draw a small dot on the head.  Then use a thick UV resin to cover the dot.  The thick resin will leave a raised round mound over the dot and it will resemble a black eye.

This video shows the technique near the end.