Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Kelly Galloup Hair Stacker

Hi Guys,

I am not especially fond of tying with deer hair, but so many of the flies I fish use deer hair.  I am always interested in tools/techniques that makes tying with deer hair (or anything similar) easier and/or less of a mess.  Anybody use the Kelly Galloup stacker?  Does the Loon hinged Zippy stacker work as well or just differently all together?

Thanks!

G

i stack a lot of squirrel tail and bucktail and use a cheap aluminum stacker bought over 40 years ago. if it aint broke dont break it😀

$_1.JPG

at $25 kelly can keep them in his shop

Kelly’s Swinger Stackers are very beautifully engineered tools. Hair stackers should be selected based on the diameter of the clump and the length of hair being stacked. if you’re in to small hair wing flies the small Swinger Stacker is a thing of beauty because you won’t have any hairs fall horizontally inside the stacker. Additionally the XL Swinger is a great tool for big collars on streamer patterns. 
These stackers took some getting used to for me. I used the brass Edgin stackers for around 20 years before getting the full range of Swinger Stackers. In the end they all accomplish the same thing. The more important matter, to me anyway, is having a range of sizes based on the flies you are going to be tying. 
I would imagine the Loon offering would be similar in use, but I have not tried them. 
Best,

Nathan

3 hours ago, Toothy said:

Kelly’s Swinger Stackers are very beautifully engineered tools. Hair stackers should be selected based on the diameter of the clump and the length of hair being stacked. if you’re in to small hair wing flies the small Swinger Stacker is a thing of beauty because you won’t have any hairs fall horizontally inside the stacker. Additionally the XL Swinger is a great tool for big collars on streamer patterns. 
These stackers took some getting used to for me. I used the brass Edgin stackers for around 20 years before getting the full range of Swinger Stackers. In the end they all accomplish the same thing. The more important matter, to me anyway, is having a range of sizes based on the flies you are going to be tying. 
I would imagine the Loon offering would be similar in use, but I have not tried them. 
Best,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan!