Fly Tying
Jacks Grampa

Fishing around Bozeman Mt.

We're moving there in June. I've visited many times but never had a boat. I'm thinking Hyalite will be a good place fish from a boat. Anyone know any other places to fish from a boat? Thanks, James

You realize you have committed to photos of the trip. Good luck and safe boating.

SW Montana is the land of big rivers (floating) and lots of decent reservoirs.  There are three great reservoirs just north of Bozeman on the Missouri—Canyon Ferry, Holter and Hauser.  All have great fishing. Southwest of Bozeman is Clark Canyon on the Beaverhead and Ruby Reservoir on the Ruby.  Northeast of Bozeman is Martindale.  Lots of smaller ponds around as well, especially the ponds at Three Forks.   A favorite reservoir of mine is Georgetown Lake during runoff just west of Anaconda.  A great rainbow fishery in June. Big Sky Fishing  is a good source of info.

Thanks Mike. I'll check them out. We're buying a house just South of Belgrade and moving up mid June. It'll be nice to fish in sub 100 degree weather and if winter gets too rough for us we know the way to Tucson.

Hey they are all good.  There are two shops close to where you be living:  River’s Edge West (a great Simms shop), Fins and Feathers (Orvis, probably the 2nd best fly tying materials shop)  The Bozeman Family Fly Shop has the best selection of fly tying materials while Montana Troutfitters probably has the most experience in the Bozeman area.  If I am going to book a local float trip, I’ll use Troutfitters, otherwise I am in and out of all of them over the course of the year.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, mikemac1 said:

SW Montana is the land of big rivers (floating) and lots of decent reservoirs.  There are three great reservoirs just north of Bozeman on the Missouri—Canyon Ferry, Holter and Hauser.  All have great fishing. Southwest of Bozeman is Clark Canyon on the Beaverhead and Ruby Reservoir on the Ruby.  Northeast of Bozeman is Martindale.  Lots of smaller ponds around as well, especially the ponds at Three Forks.   A favorite reservoir of mine is Georgetown Lake during runoff just west of Anaconda.  A great rainbow fishery in June. Big Sky Fishing  is a good source of info.

Thanks Mike. The ponds in Three Forks are perfect for my little boat. Blue Sky Boat Works 360 is great on waters like that. A friend here caught a 7 1/2 pound bass there but wasn't impressed since he's from Texas where  ten pounders  not uncommon.