Fly Tying
niveker

Odd, Strange, Unique Objects, in the woods and on the water...

As a blue liner I'm always on the look out for potential wild trout streams.  While following GPS to a site for my day job I ended up on a rural back road and came across this.  I love historic markers!  Sadly I wasn't dressed for a 50 yard walk through the snow that day but I do plan to return to drift a fly Just see what might be swimming in there.  The steam isn't designated as a "cold water fishery" on the states website but it is a trib into a cold water river.  It is high gradient so there just might be some natives there.

Indians.jpg.456026c41f3454cc73849bdcec082c05.jpg

qq.png.0d2c60d72c15435aad5cfe5df55c30b4.png

q.png.af2328b00c8e3b3b13b7d8ea98ed4126.png

1 hour ago, niveker said:

👍Lots of great water in that area.  

Yes sir-  A lot of the streams crossing the roads certainly look like they would hold trout.  I'm going to check the water temps this summer to see which ones stay cold.

Check the water temps with a fly rod.  If you catch sunfish species, it doesn't stay cold enough for trout.  If you catch trout, it stays cold enough.  Easy Peasy!

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

Check the water temps with a fly rod.  If you catch sunfish species, it doesn't stay cold enough for trout.  If you catch trout, it stays cold enough.  Easy Peasy!

Well actually, trout are generally very much harder to catch than the lowly sunfish, which, usually, eagerly just jumps onto anyone's awaiting fly of any design (even amateurish, in style and execution), really, so you see, it really wouldn't be a reasonable comparison unless you, maybe multiplied a "difficulty quotient" of maybe thirty, forty or fifty to the sunfish catch to come even close to trout numbers. 😁

I haven't checked, but would guess that most of those waters up there get stocked, Spring and Fall, so there's always that at a minimum.  And theres smallmouth.  So much public land and water just to the west, you could probably spend a whole season there and never have to fish the same spot. Used to be you could drive into a lot of it, but I heard they're keeping some of those areas closed now. Sunsabitches. 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:20 AM, niveker said:

I haven't checked, but would guess that most of those waters up there get stocked, Spring and Fall, so there's always that at a minimum.  And theres smallmouth.  So much public land and water just to the west, you could probably spend a whole season there and never have to fish the same spot. Used to be you could drive into a lot of it, but I heard they're keeping some of those areas closed now. Sunsabitches. 

I passed a crystal clear freestone yesterday in Northampton-  This one really got my attention but then I noticed posted signs all over the place.  Uh!

On 1/16/2024 at 5:24 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Well actually, trout are generally very much harder to catch than the lowly sunfish, which, usually, eagerly just jumps onto anyone's awaiting fly of any design (even amateurish, in style and execution), really, so you see, it really wouldn't be a reasonable comparison unless you, maybe multiplied a "difficulty quotient" of maybe thirty, forty or fifty to the sunfish catch to come even close to trout numbers. 😁

Yet another attempt at humor summarily ignored and neglected. It used to be so much fun to tease Mike here. Now it seems like I'm just wasting my time. 🤕

14 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Yet another attempt at humor summarily ignored and neglected. It used to be so much fun to tease Mike here. Now it seems like I'm just wasting my time. 🤕

I don't know Mark, I thought it was pretty funny.  🙂